1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello from a Pentax user

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by skyblue, Apr 13, 2015.

1. skyblue

skyblue Member

Hello I hope everybody is well. I have just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Andy and my first Pentax was a Spotmatic II in about 1973. I have had several Pentax SLRs, DSLRs and 35mm compact cameras since then. Currently using a couple of K5 bodies.

I mainly take pictures of urban scenes. I currently have a photography exhibition in the centre of my local town.

I have been reading AP since about 1972. Currently I usually read it at the library.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf New Member

Welocome to the Forum Andy.

Your history is similar to mine, only I started with a Spotmatic F. I am currently using a K5ii (main camera), a K50 (family pictures) and a Canon G12 (foreign holidays) A review of my (not very good pictures) shows mainly town, country, and family with a little bit of abstract for good measure.

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard :)

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Welcome to the forum, Andy!

I started going Pentax with a K20D, then got an ME Super, 'coz I still like shooting film, and also picked up a Samsung GX10, which is almost a K10D, and last year picked up a 2nd hand K3.

I look forward to seeing some of your pictures, perhaps in the Exhibition Lounge.

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Andy,

I started with a K1000 and 50/2 in the summer of 1987 and
    have progessed to a, currently, K50 w/ 50-135/2.8 and, if a
    wide angle is necessary, I have a Ricoh GR_IV in my vest pocket :D

Cheers and welcome to quality, not quantity, forum in AP ;)

Jack ……. in Vancouver, BC

6. skyblue

skyblue Member

Thanks everybody.

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I started with Pentax in about 1961 with a Pentax S3 -- I chopped in a Contax IIIa in part exchange -- I have since had : S1a, Program A ( I won it free!),LX,MX, ME Super, ME, P30n, SV, Spotmatic 1, Spotmatic F, 6x7 Mark I and II. I have taken all my 'Prizewinners' on Pentax -- pity you never see anyone using the brand outside now !

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Takumars are excellent lenses and I can't think of any camera prettier than a Spottie...

:D

[​IMG]

9. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Yep, there is a feelgood factor. The great thing is you can still use those Taks on yer digital camera too, they are built like tanks, will last forever and they are still damned good glass. I prefer the K series for convenience of mounting but the K's are still Taks at heart.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm a great Spottie fan, but would say they're more handsome than pretty. ;)

11. skyblue

skyblue Member

I still have my Spotmatic II (although I have not tried to use it for many years) in its original soft black leather Asahi Pentax case, and SMC Takumar 55mm, 135mm and 35mm lenses, operating manuals and guarantees. I also have the invoice which shows I bought the camera body and 55mm lens in May 1974 for £99 together with the case which cost £9.90. The cameras were being sold cheaply as the Spotmatic II was being withdrawn and it was this fact which enabled me to buy a Pentax.

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Indeed, Nicholas, indeed :) and, FWIW, I like me MX and my, hidden away
    somewhere, AshaiFlex IIb :D

jack

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No Asahiflex here, but lots of Spotties and S models, the MX of course, K2 DMD, several ESPIO compacts, an Auto 110 and my 67. And my Qs, of course.

The Auto 110 is quite pretty, the MX remains my favourite. :)

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

ditto....

I also have a Spotmatic 500 which is still is mint condition, complete with the little gold coloured JMDC PASSED sticker.

The annoying thing with the Spotmatic 500 was that even though the maximum shutter speed on the dial was 1/500 it also had the 1/1000 setting as well but not marked. I had progressed to the ME & MX before I found this out..!!

15. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

The 500 wasn't the first time Asahi had pulled that one. Before the Spotmatic was the SV, with its cheaper variant: the S1a. The knowledgeable buyer, who didn't require the SV's self timer, could save a nice bit of change by purchasing the S1a instead and remembering that the unmarked click-stop after "500" was close enough to 1/1000th to be entirely useable...

:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, they wanted a lower-spec model to sell for less, but didn't want to pay to develop a new shutter - simple solution, just not mark the speed on the dial. ;)

17. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I have also been with Pentax for more years than I wish to admit to. My Father introduced me to Pentax and I inherited his SV, which is the camera on my Avatar. This has the M42 Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8, which I could use on my dslr's but have yet to do so. I have the adapter but just didn't get around to it. Probably because I have the 50mm f/1.7 auto focus, so no need.

I have worked my way through from ME Super (sold) to Z1-p, which I still own then on to the K10D, K20D, K-7 (all sold), K-5 and now the K-3. Hate to think what that has cost me in trade ups, but I still have the K-5 with grip and the K-3 is the Prestige gun metal derivative. Without doubt, the K-3 is the best dslr I have ever used.

Welcome to the group.

18. gr8smith

gr8smith New Member

I've started photography recently, I own the Pentax K10D. It's cheap but pretty decent.

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Like the ginger cat shot in the Instagram.

20. gr8smith

gr8smith New Member

Thank you very much!