1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Owen Hamilton, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Owen Hamilton

Owen Hamilton Member

Hi, I just joined the forum, I joined as I am looking for some advice on a purchase and I hope that someone on this forum will be able to help me as I don't have any experience at all in this sort of thing. In the next couple of weeks I will be upgrading my Android smartphone. It's not going to be a hugely expensive phone (around £200) and therefore won't have the world's greatest camera. To help improve things I thought I might buy a lens kit for it and was wondering what the best one (within reason, price wise) would be to purchase.

If I'm asking in totally the wrong place then I apologise, hopefully someone can point me to somewhere more appropriate.

Thank you.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Owen. There was a review of Smartphone cameras in a recent edition of AP. I can't remember if it was last weeks (still in shops maybe) or the week before. Pretty sure it was a January edition. I won't be able to look until next week. I don't know if it included lens kits. I'd expect them to be more of a gimmick than a means to convert a phone to a "camera" - the advantage of a phone is size and availability. Unless it's my iphone, which is always dead when needed.

3. Owen Hamilton

Owen Hamilton Member

Thanks for the reply. Before I joined this forum I tried using the search facility on the main website (as opposed to the forums) to see if there were any articles and it came up with no results, from searching on Google I've found some lens kits but as I am completely new to this I've got no idea whether they are a) compatible with the phone I am getting or b) any good.

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

What sort of photography do you do with your phone camera, and what improvements would you be looking for, from a lens kit?

5. Owen Hamilton

Owen Hamilton Member

I don't do any currently as the phone I currently have is rather old and not very good as a camera which is one reason I'm getting a new phone and taking photos using a phone is something I'd like to start doing.

6. John Farrell

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I used to have an Olloclip lens kit for a previoius iteration of my iphone and actually I was pleasantly surprised by how good they were. The macro lens in particular was qutie astonishing. Not up there with a Canon 100mm macro lens obviously but I wasn't expecting it to be. I seem to recall the the kit I had consisted of three lenses - wideangle, macro and fisheye. They were a lot of fun. Of course, when I eventually changed my phone, the lens kit didn't fit the new model so I sold it on to someone else and couldn't really justify the price of a new set when I had actual macro and wideangle lenses for my DSLRs. I don't know if Olloclip make lenses for phones other than apple but you do get what you pay for in these things. If it's just for a bit of fun and you're not too fussed about image quality you could order a generic universal set for about £15 from Amazon.

8. Owen Hamilton

Owen Hamilton Member

Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to try out the camera as is to start with, adding lenses is definitely something to think about for the future.

peterba and John Farrell like this.
  9. John Farrell

Phone cameras are capable of taking reasonable pictures - even a cheapie phone like my wife's Samsung can do images like this.
    Photo0049.jpg

Owen Hamilton likes this.
  10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Hi Owen, and welcome to the forum.

I see that you're already getting some advice - which is a good thing, because unfortunately, I'm unable to offer any, on the subject of phone cameras! ;)

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Welcome. I've got a Samsung that's about 2 years old and am contemplating replacing it.
    For around £200, I reckon that the best camera equipped phone is the Huawei P20 Lite;
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8142788
    Other retailers are available

I nearly bought one a couple of months back but there were other calls for my money :-(

It may also be worth checking out Samsung phones around the same price, reading up on reviews and speaking to a few retailers, that's how I came to my conclusion about the Huawei.

Does anyone on this forum have one, and if so would you be able to comment?

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The Sony Xperia range is worth looking at too.

13. Owen Hamilton

Owen Hamilton Member

Thanks for the replies regarding which phone to get, I've already decided that I'm going for the Huawei P Smart 2019.

14. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

Hello to you Owen.

Welcome to the forums.

Bill.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Welcome Owen. I still use a Nokia 3330e phone. It still works for telephony and messaging, and nothing else. The camera I carry everywhere is a Sony Rx100m3. It is slightly thicker than a camera phone but the other dimensions are smaller. It is pocketable. The quality of pictures is better than anything from any phone camera. Several versions of the Rx100 range are still available new. As a camera it is quite nasty to use, too small and fiddly but in my opinion its nastiness is greatly overcome by the photographic quality. The mark three is affordable and good for still photography. The latest version is much better for video, but out of your budget.
    I hope that you are happy with the Huawei Smart 2019, but if you have not yet bought it then it might be worth considering to keep your present phone and buying a real camera. The Rx100 range are very small real cameras with an image sensor much larger than is used in camera phones, and have an optical zoom lens. They may seem too expensive for such a small device but the miniturised technoledgy within these little instruments is amazing.