1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello everyone. I'm Omar from Birmingham, England.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Oumar Ghafoor, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Oumar Ghafoor

Oumar Ghafoor New Member

I am a complete novice to photography. I recently purchased a panasonic lumix gh5 and am still trying to get to grips with the camera. I have the Leica lens on it 12-60ml.

Getting issues with the auto focus and also looking into a more powerful lens with auto focus and IS

I struggle with increase and decrease of the ISO to try and get that perfect snap.

It would be nice to hear from other gh5 users

2. Oumar Ghafoor

Oumar Ghafoor New Member

I'm thinking of getting the canon lens 70-200 with IS. Is it any good? How well does it work with the gh5?

I was in brecon a few days ago and i was taking pics of the waterfall but i was not satisfied with my pics and was wishing i had a more powerful lens with me

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along Oumar. I can't help with you specific query as I know nothing about Panasonic, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Oumar Ghafoor likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Oumar, welcome to the forums.

You can’t mix Canon lenses with Panasonic bodies. Generally lens mounts are proprietary but there are exceptions. Panasonic and Olympus do share a common mount but I wouldn’t have a clue about compatibility of specific Olympus lenses with your camera.

If you are just starting out it is probable that the issues you have just need a little practice to resolve.

Modern cameras have quite complicated AF systems. On “automatic” they can grab the nearest thing to you, so if you are shooting the waterfall and there is some grass sticking up the camera can pick the grass and the waterfall is out of focus.

The lens you have is very good for general purpose photography. I’d have to look it up but I thought the GX-5 had in-body image stabilisation? If you are getting blurred images then the most likely cause is that you are not holding the camera still. With the water-fall were you trying to hold the camera in your hand and get a smoothed shot of the water using a long exposure? That won’t work.

Post some pictures to show your problem, together with the exposure settings. For best results resize them in a a photo editing program to 800 pixels on the longest side. There is usually a resize option on the image export menu, it intelligently takes away pixels to leave the picture intact but smaller. Your computer does similar whenever you look at a picture on the screen, otherwise it wouldn’t fit.

If the waterfall is too small in the picture to see properly you can crop the picture using an editing program. With a 20 MP camera you can reduce the size by 40% and still have enough information to print up to A3.

I’d get used to the camera before deciding what longer lens you need. The panasonic line-up looks quite good (last week’s AP listings).

Good luck with your new hobby.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hello. Welcome to the site.

I'd be tempted to say don't rush into buying anything. Slow down a bit and practice more. Everybody gets far more poor shots than ones they are happy with. The advantage of modern cameras is that you can take lots of pics without it costing anything, so take several of one scene using different settings to see what happens.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Best advice

7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

8. Oumar Ghafoor

Oumar Ghafoor New Member

Hi Rob

Firstly I want to thank you fir your valuable advice. I am completely new to this and you are right in that I don't need to purchase other brands of lens. I will definitely concentrate on trying to familiarise and master the GH5 first.

I will upload the photos as soon as i get a chance.

Cheers buddy

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Oumar. :)

Oumar Ghafoor likes this.
  10. Carrot Photography

Carrot Photography New Member

When I first started photography I learnt so much from Bryan Petersen videos on You Tube.

The are others like Gavin Hoey.

You can pick up so much so quickly.