1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself and my style!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Modelier, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Modelier

Modelier New Member

Hi fellow photographers,

I am new here, this is the first forum I visited. Kinda excited! :)

I am a newbie/amateur photographer, who is intrigued by beauty and nature. I find both women and nature fascinating and I am trying to combine these two to develop a style of my own. I only took a few hundred pictures with a decent camera in my life, but I am learning with every shot I make!

I tried uploading some of my pictures into this thread, but I can't seem to make it work, haha. If you want, you can check out my 'work' on my instagram (I started a month ago). You can search for Modelier_NL. I'm trying to get the name Modelier from the previous owner, since this dude is inactive for over a year, but he won't reply to my messages.. :(

Because I want to combine nature photography and portraits, I rarely use an ultra wide aperture, because I want to show to my followers the beauty of nature as well!

I thought photography would be a lot easier and I'm still having trouble making sharp pictures and choosing the right settings in manual mode. How did you guys manage to learn this? Do you have any tips for a starting photographer such as myself? :)

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers,

Leroy

2. Modelier

Modelier New Member

(Couldn't find an edit button, haha)

P.s.: I'm gonna upload my bést portrait yet, tomorrow morning on instagram!

3. Modelier

Modelier New Member

Hey guys, sorry if I came off a bit like an advertisement in my first thread here. I was just very enthusiastic when writing the message, everything is still new to me. Getting no response or whatsoever is also a lesson for me. I will try to learn from this and improve for the future.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hello Modelier.

Don't worry about the lack of response, we were all probably having a row elsewhere...

S

John Farrell and Modelier like this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I didn’t see your post on Sunday.

To put an image (jpg) on here (not lots of images). Size it to 800 pixels on the longest edge using a photo editor. It is usually an option under export, used when modifying a file. Then, either put it on a photo-sharing site like Flickr and copy the bulletin board code (BBC) that is an option under the share menu and paste it into the post. Or, use the upload a file option, follow the choose file dialogue, then after a few seconds, select the display full image option.

For editing you get a 20 minute window or so to change what you post. Thereafter it is permanent.

Modelier likes this.
  6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Welcome, Leroy.
    Sometimes it takes a while for people to see all new posts. I am not sure if you are allowed to post photos until you have been a member for a while and have made a minimum number of posts.

I started off shooting film with a manual camera in the 1970's. I went digital sometime in the late 1990's, I think, and got my first DSLR when a savings plan paid out in 2006. It took me about 6 months before I was "happy" with my OOC images. Modern cameras are so different from film cameras, they are basically computers with an imaging sensor attached, there are so many things that you can adjust which affect the output whereas in the past, all that we had to worry about was shutter speed, aperture and had we set the ISO correctly? The ISO had to stay the same for the whole roll of film.

Taking snaps is easy, shooting photographs isn't.
    At least with digital, the processing costs are zero. Best thing to do is keep readinhg up, get out there and take as many photis as you can. Review them, work out what you don't like about them and work on improving. We never stop learning.

Modelier likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Now, now, you'll be giving the poor guy the right wrong idea about us. :D
    Here's one idea that might work for you...

Choose one type of subject, put the camera into completely automatic mode ("iA" if available) and make as many different images of that one subject type as you can. Try to forget the camera's there, just look through the finder, concentrate on illustrating each subject as best you can and press the shutter. Repeat many times,

Then go home, settle down with your computer and look carefully at each image. Force yourself to delete every image that doesn't satisfy you without attempting to decide why you don't like it. If you end up with more than two or three images that you're satisfied with, you are either a genius or not being critical enough. Repeat this until you no longer need to take more than three or four images to be sure of getting one you want to keep.

After that is the time to worry about things like manual mode. ;)

Modelier and ptermx like this.
  8. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

That's very good advice. Learning how to compose photos is key. Nowadays, cameras themselves can do a very good job of choosing focus, aperture, shutter speed and ISO for you. But they can't compose the shot for you.

Modelier likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

Modelier likes this.
  10. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hi there,

if you want feedback on images then use the appraisal thread, but you can post here if technical but we have help section for that too.

But I do feel and just my opinion that if you want input on work then post on here please. I personally don't use instagram LOL

I suspect you need to maybe select spot AF and point camera at what you want sharp keep shutter button holding focus lock

then frame and shot. That is how I work. Bit old school I think these days LOL

Lot of the new technology have eye detect now so the camera works out that you doing a portrait of life study and locks on eyes.

Unless you doing body shape work. then you need to decide what you feel should have the focus in the shot.

I did figure nude shoot with nice lady recently and the pet dog eyes were the focus point. Fun getting the dog to pose LOL

Also with all shots abit computer post sharpening is the usual practice. LOL

Modelier likes this.