1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello....and advice needed!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Stussy2018, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Stussy2018

Stussy2018 Member

Hi all, thanks for having me!

Very new to this and a bit of advice required...

My girlfriend has always wanted a dslr,
    So for this Christmas I thought I’d get her one.

This is what I have ordered...

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d7200--18-200-vr-ii-kit-4099-p.asp

She has no experience In them at all but I wanted something half decent with a “do everything” Lens that will be usable for many years as her experience grows.

I did consider a D750 but for that money I would be getting a body only.

Have I made the right choice? Or could my money have been spent more wisely?

Appreciate any help and advice you have for me as I would like to get it right!

Cheers

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, it is amazing how many people write - "I've bought this - it's in the post - did I do the right thing?"

I'm sure she will enjoy using this. It will need a memory card ...

I don't know what comes in the box with Nikon. Canon include usb cables, Fuji don't. Although I prefer using a wire to transfer images some people prefer USB card readers over USB cables. Some laptops have card-readers built-in.

3. Stussy2018

Stussy2018 Member

Thanks for your reply,

Yeah I did feel a bit of a fool buying it and then asking on here was it the right choice!

I’ve also bought a 64gb SanDisk Extremepro card to go with, some glass screen protectors and also a silicone camera cover.

I know the D7200 is a legend of a dslr however I didn’t know if the Lens was the right choice especially it pushing the overall price over 1k
    I was then doubting my judgment and maybe I could have got more for my money?

But like I said I’m very new to this and I’m sure many of you on here have spent way over 1k on a lens let along the camera itself!

Cheers

4. PeteRob

The 18-200 focal length is commonly known as a "travel zoom" because it covers most focal lengths without the need to change (and hence carry) several lenses. It will be a good all rounder. You can spend thousands on lenses but it isn't wise to do so unless you know exactly what you want to buy. That will be shaped by photography needs and is different for every person. It can easily take me 2 years to decide if I really need a specific lens or can get along with what I have now.

5. Stussy2018

Stussy2018 Member

Thats very helpful, thank you

I hoped the 200mm Lens would be something that could be described like that, as that will probably be when the camera is used most and would be impractical to carry many expensive lenses.

Any opinions about the D7200 itself? Is it still a good contender in the world of dslrs?
    I was worried it might be now getting a bit dated...

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well the fact that a new version is out does not make the 7200 any worse, don't worry about it. This is more of a camera than most of us will ever need, I am not a big fan of travelling zooms but it is a good start and if she goes all in then she will find out what she wants. If it turns out to be a nice hobby then this lens will be nice and easy all arounder.
    I think she will be thrilled as this is one hell of a kit.

7. PeteRob

I have no knowledge of Nikon.

There are always newer cameras but for years now the (often hyped) improvements have been small.

Although I did replace my camera in 2016 , a Canon 5D bought in 2007, that wasn't because the results were poor but because I thought the pound was going to free-fall with the referendum vote. So I traded it for a 5DS while there was a promotion on. You'd be hard pressed to see the difference in prints at A4, maybe at A3.

8. Stussy2018

Stussy2018 Member

Brilliant!

Thank you very much for your reassurance makes me feel much more confident with my choice now.

I did do some small research before and did find that many people like yourself don’t always like that type of Lens, but as you said it’s a good place to start and a good all rounder per-say.

Im glad to hear that seasoned photographers like yourselves still rate the D7200 I honesty
    Thought it was still very Entry level.

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It is a high end APS-C camera, Some people complain about the smaller sensor size compared to the more expensive Full Frame siblings. But having the APS-C sensor is not always a bad thing though you arguably get more form the lenses as it uses the optically better centre of the lens and not the edges and it will give more range compared to a Full Frame. Personally I prefer APS-C body as I use long lenses frequently.

To explain what I mean, The smaller APS-C will use smaller portion of the field of view so it will not be using the edges of the lens. The edges are usually the softest and leas optically good part of a lens. Another thing is that it also gives narrower field of view so if we tak about a "normal lens" for a full frame this is aprx 43-45mm so anything over that will be zooming, on the 7200 a normal lens is around 28mm so anything over 28mm will be zoming in. So you need much shorter lens to get close to for example wild life. Don't worry to much about this as this sometimes is a bit confusing, just enjoy taking pictures.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The D7200 is a fine camera. Unless your friend is a Canon affacianado then she should be delighted. Some Nikon users prefer the D7200 to the newer D7500. I won't go into details but some of the 'advantages' of the D7500 are not seen as such in some quarters. The 7xxx series of cameras are regarded as enthusiast rather than entry level; that is not a problem. All the very advanced cameras, even the D5 and D850, are perfectly usable by a beginner in their default configuration. They just can do so much more when one learns how to take advantage of their features.
    The lens is more of a gambol. Some people rave about wide ratio zoom lenses, and some don't.. Some people know what they want then change their mind. The 18-200 is a sensible purchase. Not my choice; I use a 16 - 80 plus other lenses, but that is a personal choice. A spare battery would make a nice Christmas stocking extra.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

HDEW may be selling Grey market product.

12. Stussy2018

Stussy2018 Member

Thank you all very much for your help.

I feel confident I have made the right choice for a half decent starter dslr and Lens kit.

However the grey market import thing does also worry me.

I read about this online and didn’t realise HDEW dealt with things like that, I spoke to them on the phone and they seemed great and in the end the 3 year warranty won over getting it off a definitely dodgy website for much less money.

I’m hoping I’ll be ok and that the camera stays reliable and that I don’t need to use the warranty, but as they are apparently based in the U.K. and quite reputable if the worse came to worst I should be ok getting it sorted?

Cheers

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The odds are definitely in your favour. In 50 years I've had 3 cameras and 1 lens go wrong. All were 2nd hand and all were either repaired or I got a full refund. I no longer recall how many cameras I've bought and sold but well past 100 at any rate.

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled by this thread. Someone orders something and only then asks for opinion!!

What would he have done if we had said the camera is utter rubbish?

MickLL

15. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Curl upp in a corner and cry? I guess to late to do anything about it as the camera is already bought.

16. Stussy2018

Stussy2018 Member

I would have simply returned it back to HDEW and ordered the one that was recommended to me from the helpful folks on this forum!

When I asked the question the D7200 hadn’t arrived yet so I had more than enough time to make a decision and then return it....admittedly it wouldn’t have been a bad idea to ask the question before I placed the order!

However with online shopping using a credit card for protection I have more than enough measures in place to help me if I change my mind!

let’s be honest, who hasn’t bought something they’re not a expert in then thought could I have done better?

Anyway Thanks again to all that gave me their opionion you made me feel confident in my choice! I’m looking foreword to wrapping it later and gifting it to someone tomorrow who has always wanted a decent DSLR but might never have had the means of getting one.

Thanks again for your help.

Merry Christmas!

Snorri and steveandthedogs like this.