1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello all you lovely folk

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Oliver Morris, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Oliver Morris

Oliver Morris Member

Hi!

I'm Oli, I'm definitely an amateur photographer fairly new to all this, but I've been around cameras all my life, my dad was an avid photographer, including a good amount of published work and an LRPS to his name.

I'm using a D5100 with a Sigma18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 dc os and a Nikkor 50mm AF-S f/1.4G

As far as subjects are concerned I enjoy anything that goes fast (albeit while stationary for now as my skills are limited) and portraits which are mostly of my daughter as she's the only one who doesn't mind me sticking a camera in her face non-stop

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you lot more, and learning as much as I can and getting some invaluable feedback and critique on my shots

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome Oli, it won't be long before your daughter takes exception - then you can practice action shots! Follow the guidelines and post images in the Appraisal section for comments. Most people will recognise a newcomer posting for the first time(s) and tailor their comments accordingly.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

You don't say how old you daughter is, but try using the 18-250 at 80-100 mm and standing further away - she might even begin to ignore you and you then get the shots you want. Even at F8 the depth of field should be shallow enough to blur the background if it's more than 2 or 3 feet behind her.

Re. Things That Go Fast - if they are moving across your field of view (rather than coming towards you or going away from you), you can get decent shots by panning to follow the subject which means you won't need a shutter speed as short as you would if you held the camera still and pressed the button as the subject shot past. I recall taking shots at air displays nearly 45 years ago using a 35 mm film camera with 64 ASA Kodachrome and a manual focus 200 mm lens with a preset aperture (the aperture does not automatically shut down when you press the shutter release, you have to rotate a collar in the lens to do it). So I was probably using F 8 at 1/250, or something very close to that.

Since you are using a digital camera you can try as many shots as you like whilst you learn, which was not the case with Kodachrome.

Have fun.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_(camera)