1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello again.

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Bill Stewardson, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

I've been away for a while, just saying a quick hello.

I use a D7500 and D3400, fave lens being a Siggy 150-600 for wildlife etc,

Hope your all keeping well.

Rainy here in Sheffield.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Hi Bill. I am sorry that I do not remember you. What are you doing using a 'Siggy' lens on your Nikon? Shame on you.
    Do you visit the peak district on the edges? If so then we can meet up after lock down.
    There are a number of members of the forum for whom the peak district would be neutral ground.

3. Bill Stewardson

Hello to you,
    That Siggy 150-600 is a megga lens, would hate to be without it. You wont get better for the money.
    I do ride out to the Peaks every now and again, when its not too touristy, mainly for wildlife stuff etc,
    As it is the end of lockdown seems a very long way off.
    Luckily I live right by a nature reserve and The Rother.

Thanks for the reply.

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome back Bill.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Goodness, I'm sure I remember the photographic airwaves being full of people with Bigmas!

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yep, we've got a couple of them.
    Seem slow as hell by today's standards, and doubt they will work for too much longer on Nikon - I had to have the firmware on ours updated.
    Poor 180 Macro wouldn't accept it though, so is manual only:confused:

7. Bill Stewardson

Not sure why it may not work for much longer on Nikon ? Just for clarity it is the 150-600 C lens.

8. AndyTake2

The old lens that used to be referred to as a bigma was the 150-500 VR
    The firmware on older Sigma lenses is a bit ropey when it comes to newer Nikons - When I got my D5300 I had to take all the lenses down to Sigma to have the firmware flashed.
    The 180 Macro and a 35-70 zoom wouldn't accept a firmware upgrade, so are the same as they were when I got the D5300, which was useless.
    I know the newer Sigmas can have their firmware flashed by the end user with the appropriate adaptor, but I don't think I would risk it again if I were in the position to buy a lens.

9. Bill Stewardson

Hello Andy,

I don't like the sound of any of that at all. I would be livid.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is a fact of life. Once the lens stops being a purely mechanical addition it has to electronically shake hands with the camera it is connected to. As the cameras update the lenses have to too. Fuji regularly issue firmware updates for both their cameras and lenses. Third parties are only just beginning to provide X mount lenses so what problems lie ahead I don’t know. Canon seem to handle backward compatibility quite well for its own lenses but Sigma old lens compatibility is an issue there as well. Sigma seem to have provided a means to issue, and the consumer install, software updates for their newer lenses so they at least see the trend continuing.

11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Ever since sigma started backward engineering lenses with electronics in them in the mid 1980's when Minolta came out with the new Autofocus 7000AF SLR .
    They cludged them to work with the then current body , but when the next body came out , all bets were off !
    And that's been the same up until recently .

The only sigma lenses I have now are my old 12-24mm, a 15-30mm and a 180mm f/3.5 macro lens , all screwdriven lenses .

I won't touch any others .

Bill Stewardson likes this.
  12. AndyTake2

The 180 macro I have which is now manual focus on modern Nikons is the ultrasonic 'replacement' for the still working version you have:D

13. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That's progress for you !

AndyTake2 likes this.
  14. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I have a Sigma 150-500mm, although it’s had little use since last spring when I bought a Nikkor AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E and found that, on my 36MPx D800, it resolves as much detail at 300mm as the Sigma at 500mm, at a fraction of the weight and size. A few years ago Nikon produced a firmware update for the D800 to work with AF-P lenses, and after I installed it, I was very concerned to find that my Sigma 150-500mm and 8-16mm lenses would no longer autofocus on that camera. (However, my 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A still functioned properly.) The good news is that when I contacted Sigma, they offered to upgrade the firmware of the lenses without charge. The even better news for me is that I live fairly close to Sigma’s UK base at Welwyn Garden City, and they carried out the update while I waited.Of course not having that uncertainty or bother (which should be an advantage for paying Nikon prices when they offer similar lenses) would be better still.
    Surely the “Bigma” was Sigma’s 50-500mm lens (now replaced by a 60-600mm), even heavier, and also more expensive than the 150-500mm.

Chris

Bill Stewardson likes this.