1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heatwave and lenses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 12, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I doubt anybody would query the quality of Japanese optics, that’s not really the issue....the level of humidity they are stored in is what concerns me. It is virtually impossible to eradicate fungus once it takes hold, even full strip down, deep clean, rebuild and re-aligned is not a 100% guarantee.
    Prevention is better than cure....surely??

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In your opening post, you mention 50g silica gel sachets.
    Unless your storage is really well sealed, I can't imagine the silica gel doing much for the long term dryness of the storage environment. Silica gel can be dried out in a suitable oven - electric being better than gas for obvious reasons. My suspicion is that the silica gel sachets we find in "new" equipment, are really part of the marketing, and are supplied to reduce the number of letters to the marketing / warranty department.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think you are being overly cynical! I can’t off-hand recall when I last bought something that shipped with silica gel. It used to be very common.

4. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

you may be right, but at least I’m trying. If I find my lenses start showing fungus I will have to think again. I would have thought air circulation combined with a means of trying to remove excess humidity was a good starting point.
    I tend to look after everything I own, maybe I’m showing OCD symptoms

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No, you are just paranoid.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Earlier in the year I received three in-ear monitoring sets from Germany, there were several silics gel packs in each box. It is still common with electronics to find desiccant in the packaging.