1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Heard mentality "sheep" wait 10-14 days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 1, 2020.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I come from Romford, anywhere else is Nirvana also

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

What do you mean you don't?!

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I used to say a line drawn along the M4 and down the M3 would make a pretty good arbitrary border to the rest of England , but having seen the twaddle that comes out of Devon on here I'm inclined to add the M5 as well.

DaveM399 likes this.
  4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

That annoys me, why do people refer to women as "Ladies" you don't hear people calling Men "Gentlemen" just Men, it is "Women" unless Lord and Lady, etc and to be honest .... no perhaps not. :rolleyes: I bet you never say young Gentlemen do you ? it is so sexist.

Just as women complain that girls could not join the scouts but try getting your SON into the Guides !!!

Origin
    [​IMG]
    Old English hlǣfdīge (denoting a woman to whom homage or obedience is due, such as the wife of a lord, also specifically the Virgin Mary)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition of lady

1a: a woman having proprietary rights or authority especially as a feudal superior
    b: a woman receiving the homage or devotion of a knight or lover
    2 capitalized : VIRGIN MARY —usually used with Our
    3a: a woman of superior social position
    b: a woman of refinement and gentle manners
    c: WOMAN, FEMALE —often used in a courteous reference show the lady to a seat or usually in the plural in addressladies and gentlemen

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

So 1b doesn't actually have to be a Lady, she can just get called one?

Rather spoils the rest of your post.

S

ps Yes, I do hear men being called "gentlemen". perhaps I move in more polite circles.

dream_police and Gezza like this.
  6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well, all the motorhomes are back on the coast road, makes getting through Abbotsbury a real pain which I will have to do on Tue when I go in to Portisham for my annual thyroxin blood test.

7. John King

John King Well-Known Member

How about Wanabe Welsh?o_O

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not young Gentlemen no. But here I was using it to show the generations. Young ladies through to their grandmothers.

I use the term "gents" a fair bit. "Ladies and gents" when I address a class for instance. Even when I have had a class of just men I often say "Morning gents"

I don't view the term ladies as sexist at all. Perhaps the few ladies on this forum may say otherwise though.

Edit. Thinking about it more. I use and hear gentlemen a fair bit.

The canteen ladies at one of the places I work at will often be greeted by "Morning ladies" when I go into the canteen. They don't appear to be offended. I'd rather be friendly. Just asked my wife. She can't see what you are on about either.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Zou likes this.
  9. dream_police

Why would anybody wannabe Welsh?;):)

10. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! For the last few months I’ve had the roads all to myself to enjoy :p

Yes, traffic has increased significantly over the last week or so, but non essential shops are now essential and government wants us out spending money.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I always greet a roomful of men ‘morning gents’.
    The alternative is sounding like Captain Mainwaring! ‘Morning men!’
    So yes, I use the term gentlemen or gents regularly to be honest.

12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

You could always start with "Ladles and Jellyspoons..."

dream_police likes this.
  13. dream_police

I'll give it a go!

John Farrell likes this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well, as far as I can recall, the phrase was actually "North of Watford Gap", which is well into woad territory and outside the normal commuter belt into Euston. I believe in much earlier times, StAlbans was seen at the northern limit of the proverbial pale. If people now say Watford, meaning that characterless sprawl and arterial hub of designer gridlock just up the A41, then they have moved the boundary of civilisation dangerously close to home.

Zou likes this.
  15. steveandthedogs

The gentlemen will be having a quiet word with you...

S

dream_police likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

General ignorance is to blame I think. Used to be Watford Gap but at some point folk seem to have gotten confused with the Watford branch of an American clothing retailer and shortened it to just Watford.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Quiet? I thought they'd be singing - or is that a stereotype? ;)

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It will not end well. Smacks of Ned Flanders...

19. dream_police

As North Wales is so grey, more likely to be a monotype.:)

steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  20. steveandthedogs

Only if there are at least two of them.

S