1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heard mentality "sheep" wait 10-14 days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 1, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I wish people would stop referring to the areas around Greater Manchester as 'up north' because it isn't. More accurately it should be described as North Midlands because there are over another 200 miles on average after Greater Manchester before you reach the Scottish border, than the words 'up north' suggest. What is said suggests that places like York, Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, and the areas around Tyneside are all large conurbation areas and suggest all are rabid infection areas when they are simply not.

Mike40 likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It's actually the North-West.

S

3. steveandthedogs

The retired police driver I used to work with told me that undertaking is perfectly legal. However, if there is an accident, you will get hung out to dry, your fault or not.

S

Zou likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And those in the GM area, or Cheshire as I am, wouldn't want to be labelled as anything Midlands, lol.

5. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Yes, and the often scornfully used phrase ‘North of Watford’ implies that everyone living above the M25 still decorates their bodies with woad and digs pits in which to trap mammoths.......personally, it gets my goat when I’m sitting on the bus or tube listening to the rubbish people spout about London, usually followed by some sentiment about “how wonderful/exciting/stimulating to be living here”!!

Sorry - old bloke on high horse who knows and loves his city.........

Take care,
    Mike

John King likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I find it hard to get angry at people for doing what they've been informed is safe to do by the government. I think calling them sheep, or herd animals, or in fact idiots is rather stupid in itself.

Rather than get angry at other people, for doing what they've been advised they're allowed to do, why not simply police yourself and stop policing others.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Anywhere north of the M4 is up north. Its a known fact its grim up north. As towns go, there can't be many grimmer than Swindon, which is north of the M4.

Zou likes this.
  8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Slough. Even John Bunyon thought it was grim.

Zou likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Confirms my theory.

10. John King

Northumberland is the 3rd largest county in England with a population of only 320,240 (2020). Newcastle upon Tyne itself has nearly 3 times as many. There is something magical about the county, deserted roads, possibly the finest beaches in UK, friendly pubs that have realistic pricing and walking country like you have never seen. The Lake District is more spectacular, but is overcrowded and over priced. There is little in the way of so called 'amusements' which keep Northumberland coastal towns relatively idiot and family free.
    The weather isn't brilliant but we are used to it, unlike our cousins from darn sarf!

11. dream_police

It can't be that bad, all the young ladies, their mothers and grandmothers all go out in skimpy clothing and no jackets in the middle of winter in the Bigg Market.:)

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. John King

I think you are using the word 'ladies' in the wrong context. Just what do you know about the Bigg Market? Be very careful what you reply, an early morning knock on the door by the police with a warrant often offends!.

Even the police dogs walk round there in pairs. But Newcastle is not in Northumberland. That is the place I prefer to be.

Anyway I'm off to my darkroom, I need solitude..

13. dream_police

I love Northumberland. Had some good times in Newcastle too.

14. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Betjeman?

MickLL

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Slough of Despond, which the Friendly Bombs are welcome to fall on.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I come from Stoke-on-Trent. Anywhere else is Nirvana.....

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I think this sticker could go on any car these days.

one life.jpg

18. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

As a Midlander, married to a Northerner and living down South I have extensive experience of the regions. There's no doubt in my mind that the North is very different from the south. The people behave differently, the climate is different, shopping is a different experience (related to the people). BTW my definition of the north is roughly a line between Liverpool and Hull. The rest is the 'far north'. :)

There's huge scope for southerners and northerners to misunderstand each other and for each to believe that they are 'better/tougher/more hard done by' and so on.

I don't know where the change starts (or ends) but Watford doesn't strike me as being completely crazy.

MickLL

19. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Not sure about this post. Sorry if I've misunderstood - I often do.

I thought that you were referring to the poem 'Slough' by John Betjeman - not Bunyan. The point of his poem was a comment on, to him, the awful 'redevelopment' of the town just before WW2

MickLL

20. steveandthedogs

Anglesey was just about full yesterday. Had to go up to Aberffraw, local beuaty spot with massive dune area and beach, impossible to see a single space to park on driving past.

However, if you want to have a wander in the mountains:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53627699

Good thing too. Should have been doing it a long time ago, though.

S