1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Heard mentality "sheep" wait 10-14 days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Idiots.

Someone I know takes hospital patients home, THIS was the roads yesterday, idiots on a day out. Sheep.

And they wonder WHY! Covid 19 is jumping back up. One sunny day and the sheep join the flock !!!!

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Herd.

Mike40 likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There is a lot of traffic about.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Was very noticeable yesterday on my travels around East Anglia. Country roads that are normally quiet were busy as traffic avoided the A12 to get up to North Suffolk/Norfolk.
    My swear levels were up near the red line as i'm convinced some of these people only drive once a year!

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The track and trace data would suggest otherwise. There was a study done 2 weeks after the news showed scenes from a packed Bournemouth beach and no evidence could be found of any increase in Covid cases as a result. The measures introduced in the North of England yesterday were based on track and trace data showing that visiting another household indoors was the main cause of increased Covid numbers. Locally, Wiltshire has seen a spike in cases but primarily these are all connected with the Iceland foods depot in Swindon.

This is why track and trace is so important, rather than speculation. My daughter lives in South Korea where reliable track and trace was in place from the start. That's why they have managed to do such a good job of keeping Covid in check, without the need of a European style total lockdown. Track and trace highlighted specific buildings, types of businesses etc. where Covid was an issue and localised lockdown were put in place.

6. Stephen Rundle

I think I do well for an autistic person spellin wise ;) considering I rely totally on spellcheck

Make sure you correct all the peope who put an "e" on lens :) :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    ascu75, dangie and Mike40 like this.
  7. Stephen Rundle

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ses-in-england-delay-easing-of-restrictions/#

8. Stephen Rundle

Used to be called "Sunday drivers"

9. PeteRob

That was always true come summer but probably worse this year with people not driving during lockdown. We went to Devon and back to clean check and provision the static for the children to use now that access is allowed. It was last used in early December. It's about a 580 mile round trip. Driving standards were OK on the whole. I only saw one complete prat - unfortunately he was closely followed by a jag and an audi, I reckon he must have close passed them like he did me. This was on the A5 between Oswestry and Chirk, a lethal bit of road for those that don't consider 60 mph enough.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

To true. For those coming along the A5 from the Llangollen direction it's like someone has just opened the cage door.

11. Stephen Rundle

I refuse now to drive on motorways where I can 100% avoid the MORONS who I have to undertake who live in the middle lane !!!!

If my son and I are not doing hundreds of miles I really do prefer the A/B roads.

In fact being from Tavistock, Launceston I even prefer the C roads and lanes, I would rather do 30-40 on a B road than meltdown with morons on a motorway.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  12. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Where I currently live, east TN, the traffic isn't all that bad and while the drivers aren't the best they seem to be a bit better than other states I've lived in previously. When I visited Main it was nuts. The drivers up there.. suck and the traffic is bad. Good place to avoid.

I would love to go on a road trip to Nashville but with the virus going around that's been put off for some time.

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I apologise in advance but if you are an undertaker and you think that you have to do it then I'd class you in with the morons.

MickLL

daft_biker and EightBitTony like this.
  14. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Isn’t undertaker an essential occupation?
    (sorry)

Take care,
    Mike

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  15. Stephen Rundle

When there are TWO outside lanes blocked and NOTHING on the inside there is no choice and it is legal. Check it out ask the Police, phone them, you do NOT move from the INSIDE lane to the third lane to overtake idiots in the middle lane and mack to the inside lane as the Merc driver did or needed to.

Amazing how people don't know the law !!!!!!, they are the idiots ! :)

Rule 264 of the Highway Code states: “You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slow-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.”

Middle-lane hogging is classified as a ‘careless driving’ offence, the same as tailgating or being distracted by eating and drinking behind the wheel.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/social-media-shame-middle-lane-hogger/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Jeff Farkas likes this.
  16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

There is a choice and that choice involves driving safely - you wait until it is safe to overtake. You do not have to risk the life of yourself and others. You do not undertake. You certainly do not HAVE to undertake.

I certainly do know the law. I know that undertaking is not illegal and the reason that it's not an offence is that there are special circumstances when the Highway Code says it's OK. I also know that it can be very dangerous and is frowned upon except in those special circumstances. The situation you describe is not one of those special circumstances.

Try reading (and understanding) the Highway Code. The 'move back to the left ' , rule 264, quote is totally irrelevant to the circumstance you described.

MickLL

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Very busy out on the roads today.

Two petrol stations are dry (only the 99 pump remains)

18. PeteRob

You should not deliberately undertake. Passing on the inside when the lanes are otherwise blocked is a different case. Someone doodling along at 60 in the middle lane all alone needs to be overtaken properly. Of course if they are hogging the lane at 70 the problem does not arise because you won't catch them up. More care needs to be taken on 5 lane motorways, like the M25, where cars do regularly pass on the inside at speed.

The biggest danger on the motorway is middle-lane mentality and adaptive cruise control set at 85. They barrel up the middle lane until they meet a slower vehicle then sit there until it pulls over then they rocket off. They are a menace because on one hand they readily block you in behind a wagon. Then if you drop back and overtake them and whatever is holding them up there is every chance they try to undertake as you want to return to the driving lane.

19. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

The smart motorway cameras here on my stretch of the M1 gives drivers something to consider.

20. PeteRob

If they are averaging cameras they are very good. The gantry cameras are less good as a number of drivers will go hell for leather outside the camera zones. I do get the impression though that more people are keeping to the average indicated speed than they used to. It has been a while since I've been aggressively tailgated in a speed control area - the M6 Birmingham used to be horrific.