1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Clayton13, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Clayton13

Clayton13 Well-Known Member

Just an update if anyone is interested, i received the monitor and 'wow' its like night and day.
    My post processing should benefit from gettin this 'should' lol.

2. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

If you want to fine-tune the experience a bit more, you could calibrate & profile the monitor, since a standard gamut monitor never conforms perfectly to the sRGB profile that an OS will apply to it. Whether you actually need to do that depends a bit on your aims; it's useful in home printing but less useful when sending work out to most labs.

At the very least, you can do a bit of "free" calibration by reducing out-of-the-box brightness. This test is one of the better ones: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Glad it's working out. :)

3. Clayton13

Thanks Glenn, I'll try that tonight.

I did think about calibration but it seems a bit costly.

4. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

With that black level test, you turn the brightness down until you can't discern the darkest square, then edge it back up again until you can. Obviously the surrounding light affects this, so it's best to subdue it if possible, which will also help you to see shadow detail when editing.

Note that you can generally adjust brightness without adversely affecting aspects of monitor performance, provided it's done directly through the onscreen control. That's not true of other calibration tweaks, so it's quite sensible to leave it at that unless you identify a need to dig deeper.

5. Clayton13

Well this is my first image processed with the new monitor.

[​IMG]Trees by Claytons Guns, on Flickr
    Its the first image i've thought looks good on my phone, tablet etc without having to go back and alter stuff.