1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Clayton13, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Clayton13

Clayton13 Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with my laptop screen not showing me a true representation of my edited images, so im thinking about an external monitor, the problem i might have is my laptop only has hdmi out for external monitors.
    Does anyone here conect to their monitor through hdmi or is that a bad idea ?

Steve

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As far as I know it should be better than a traditional RGB cable as long as the monitor accepts the connection.

3. Clayton13

I had the same thought at first but couldn't find any info online.

4. PeteRob

A digital signal rather than digital to analogue and back again should be more "true". That was the basis of my thought.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be an issue, but you need to make sure the monitor supports it, not all do, additionally, laptop graphics cards/chips don't always support higher resolutions so make sure you know what the max resolution you can drive is before you go and buy a monitor which supports more than the laptop can give.

6. Clayton13

Thanks Tony, i'll check when i'm home.

7. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

If your laptop has an HDMI connector, it'll support almost any external monitor. You'll only run into trouble if you try to hook up an antique laptop with an early HDMI connector to a display with extreme resolution (e.g. 4K). Anything less than a decade old will almost certainly be fine.

The graphics chip should support the max resolution of the display connector, so you only really need to find out what HDMI version you have for reassurance (e.g. 1.2, 1.3, 1,4, 2.0, etc).

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That's not really true, the chip only has to support the maximum resolution of the built in display, and could quite easily limit the output over the external connection to that. It all depends on the laptop and the price point.

9. Clayton13

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

11. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Clearly that's not going to work. And Tony's right - my assertions are more accurate when referring to desktop PCs. You might be limited in what you can hook a laptop up to.

There isn't any advice in the HP manual, even. I think your best bet is to contact tech support. You might try hooking the laptop up to a 1080p TV if you have one, to see how that pans out. That's probably the most common use for a laptop HDMI port. I think it's extremely unlikely that you won't be able to connect to a 1080p monitor at least.

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

You can always pop into Poundland and for a quid get a HDMI cable and try it. Not much lost (about £1) if it don't work.

13. Clayton13

I just tried it with my tv and it was ok, the laptop let me adjust my res to 1900 x 1080 for the tv, so it does work, the image quality was ok so thats a good start.

14. Clayton13

Ive got leads and it worked on the TV but my original question was about quality ( better than the built in screen )

15. PeteRob

That's not quite what you said! Anyway - the main issue with laptops (and some monitors) is that the viewing angle is critical - change your position a little bit and the colours and contrast you see will alter. My current Levono laptop is so bad at this I can't even think of editing seriously on it though my old Sony Vaio was quite forgiving. The other thing laptops do is power manage. The screen brightness will often vary with the state of the battery and be very different again when plugged in. External monitors designed for colour work are generally very stable in terms of their brightness and colour and have a wide angle of view so that you can move in your chair while working and, if you need to go away, you can be sure that when you come back you are seeing the same thing. They may or may not need some warm-up time. I have an old NEC multi sync P221W which takes about 30 mins to stabilise.

16. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Also regarding your original post - the HDMI connector is a better idea than the VGA port on your laptop. Generally you'll get a sharper picture with the former, though it's been a while since I've seen this first hand. The analogue VGA connector is for emergency use only.

You'd do well to buy an "IPS" monitor to connect your laptop to, thus maximising the improvement in viewing angles. Not all IPS monitors are equal, but any of them are likely to be substantially better than your laptop screen in this regard.

Standalone monitors typically have a significantly wider gamut than laptops, too, despite being mostly "standard gamut". The fact that 1080p looks good on your TV is encouraging. I think that will always likely be the minimum a laptop will offer, simply because the HDMI connector becomes almost useless without it (a 720p TV is probably virtually obsolete by now). Picture quality would be poor, of course, if your laptop wasn't allowing the TV's native resolution.

Clayton13 likes this.
  17. Clayton13

Thanks for all the advice, i'll read some reviews and see what's out there.

18. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

The definitive answer appears to be in the maintenance & service guide: "HDMI version 1.4b supporting 1920 ×1080@ 60Hz"

I don't know if it's possible to run higher resolutions at a lower refresh rate (the HDMI standard in itself can), but at least 1080p looks safe.

19. Clayton13

Thanks for that Glenn

20. Clayton13

Got a 24'' dell monitor being delivered tomorrow so lets hope that gives me what i want.

GlennH likes this.