1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

HCB - what do you think his choice would be today?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 12, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I've been pondering the question for years.
    We all know that a certain german rangefinder has used HCB relentlessly to boost its romantic profile.
    However, having read how Henri often liked to blend in, I find it hilarious that he would choose the same format if given the choice that we have today in 2019.
    My bet is, he'd opt for a smartphone.

What's your guess - (light hearted)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Probably a Zeis-Likon ;)

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

A smartphone.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Probably a Fuji X100, Sony RX100 or similar. Not convinced he'd go for (or be wise to) the smartphone, taking pictures of kids surreptitiously...

Catriona likes this.
  5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not so sure he would actually go for a camera. The only reason he chose the leicas was because they were small and (most importantly) silent if that were the criteria then the smartphone would be perfect, completely 100% unbiquois and I'm pretty certain he would have quickly mastered the shutter lag or maybe he'd simply leave it in multiple shot and selected later.

Well that's my view anyway....??

HCB was always more interested in getting the image, the camera was just a tool.....nothing more. I'm sure he'd mock us gear heads.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you watch smartphone users as they travel the streets of Britain, you'll notice that the one thing they are NOT doing is looking around them. They look only at the little screen that holds all their attention, until they fall over a child or drive into a tree.
    HCB's pictures show the opposite - he was always looking around...

I suggest a modern Leica rangefinder, or similar, and I doubt he would spend all the time looking at its screen.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh well, if we're going to be serious then I guess he'd go for something truly inconspicuous like a pair of spectacles with a built in camera: https://dotbeasts.com/best-camera-glasses-reviews/

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Utterly pointless question.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A hip flask with his usual tipple and a good book.

Zou, Andrew Flannigan and RogerMac like this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Olympus Trip

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

?Mount?

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No mount the lens is fixed:p

Zou likes this.
  13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Pointless no, but possibly interesting.
    It does raise the question of how simple can a camera be and still give good results in the hands of a master of the art.
    I suspect that the better the photographer, the simpler that camera can be.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

He was master of the art then. You can't just transpose him into the present and assume anything about how he would turn out.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

o_O

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, Jack mentioned in a thread about Fred Herzog, who was apparently a Leica user, that he was still shooting and used a Leica (badged Lumix).

Mayhap HCB would use something along those lines?

17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I imagine he'd choose to play a Parker Nitefly, or possibly a James Tyler Variax.

Cheers, Jeff