1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hasselblad 500c v 500cm

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by SMG, Jul 31, 2007.

1. SMG

SMG New Member

Has anyone used both these models and can tell me if there is any real markable advantage to getting a 500cm rather than a 500c?

Also anything I should watch out for when buying a used kit?

Thanks,
    SMG

2. photogeek

photogeek Well-Known Member

Have a 500CM and the only major fifference is that it has the interchangable focus screens - also as it ceased production in 1994 the parts for the 500CM are more readily available.

Apart from that their is not much difference functionaly.

I went for the 500CM myself recently and it is a lovely piece of engineering.

3. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Isn't there a flash sync socket on the side of the C, or is that on both?
    The flip up hood is slightly different as well IIRC.

4. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Neither had a flash synch socket on the body from memory, they used lenses with a built in shutter and the synch socket was on the lens.

The 500cm will almost certainly come with the later magazines which when you load automatically stop at the potition of the first frame when you wind the film on to the up take spool. Previous version meant that you had to look through a window on the back of the magazine and wind until the No1 mark on the film backing paper was visible.

5. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Found this , turns out it's a synchronizer socket for auxiliary shutter. must be for using a bellows unit or something. Remember there being a socket on the side though (several years since I used a 500 c/m at college)

6. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

AFAIK Burgy is correct, all the action takes place on the lens. The synch socket is situated there not on the body.
    The CM also has the sliding mirror assembly which allows for no cut off in the viewfinder for longer lenses. Once you get used to the system this is not a problem - ask Charlie Waite.

7. SMG

SMG New Member

Thanks for your help gents!
    :)

8. MamiyaRB67

MamiyaRB67 Active Member

Having owned both the 500c and cm. From first hand experience the c is much older which dates to 1957-1970. The screen is dark and there is terrible viewfinder cut-off when using telephoto lenses for portraiture.

I highly recommend the 500cm for anyone who is seriously interested. With the new back design, I could have all my 120 pre-loaded and ready to go. I usually carry four A-12
    back for the cm,on assignment. A big advantage over the 500c.

Amazingly the 500cm can be bought as a kit with the 80mm Planar which includes a (A-12) 120 magazine back for $500 US.

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

PM Sent.

10. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Looks like Phiggy has some competition.. ;) :D