1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Harrowing images

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by pachinkofan, May 28, 2006.

1. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Harrowing images taken in different countries / situations.

Be aware there are some not very pretty ones...

[stumbled on them when I was using the stumble plug-in in firefox]

I had to F11 it to see the next/previous >>s

jamesnachtwey.com

To be honest I was in two minds about whether to post, so I'll leave it to yourselves to decide...

G.

2. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Some pretty powerful images in there. He seems to go to places where most wouldn't.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Garry,

Great link to even greater images and, truth be told, when I first saw the 'subject title' I half expected to see shots of farmer's 'harrowing' their fields :rolleyes:.

Cheers and thanks for the link.

:)

Jack

4. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

Very powerful pictures but no reason not to post IMHO - I believe that people shouldn't be protected from reality and should make their own minds up as to what they look at :).

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Yep, "tell it like it is" is the way to go. I think the single most powerful image of all is this one which was one of the "famine" series which is so graphic I've made it a URL so those of a sensitive nature don't have to view it but I think it should be viewed to remind us of the inequality of the world in which we live:

Let the rich and powerful ponder this image!

BigWill

6. flasheart

flasheart Well-Known Member

Let the rich and powerful ponder this image!

I was ready to click on the URL knowing that I'd see something that, due to television, would not move me...then I clicked.

I'm sitting here in comfort chatting about expensive cameras whilst people are dying of starvation. It doesn't sit well. My last thought though is that photography is a powerful medium, and it is only through photography that the story gets told.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Some very powerful images indeed.

As has been said before...no reason not to post a link. This is unfortunately the world we live in.

I have to say though, I am a little surprised at how little I was shocked to see some of these images. But this is probably because we are bombarded with similar images of suffering almost every day on TV.

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

James Nachtwey is a great photographer indeed.

That said, I do find that it is Tom Stoddart's images that get into my soul the most. He has the same effect in that way as the great Denis Thorpe.

To bring up the menu on Tom's site, click on the photo, then on the iWitness link. Then on the little group of six at left. The first group is of Sudan famine pictures. Click on the image to get into the slide show. Sorry, can't link to any of Tom's shots as its aa Flash site (presumably to stop people nicking photographs?)

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Tim,

I agree with you about Tom Stoddart and saw an essay on the war in (the former) Yugoslavia in the Indepedent on Sunday (magasine) about 11 or 12 years ago that impressed me so much I wrote a letter to (both) the photographer and magasine complimenting them on the photo's as well as the layout in the magasine. As well, I requested an extra copy of the magasine which I still have hidden, albeit accidentally, away :rolleyes:.

Cheers,

Jack

10. DaveCarr

DaveCarr Well-Known Member

Wow! :eek: (thanks Garry, and yep, you *should* post the link, IMHO)

What powerful and superb images...

...all of them incredibly moving and sad.

What bothers me, is the "desensitization" (sp)? that can abound throughout the world, partly, (as already mentioned) due to mass media.. ...and the fact that such images by such a seasoned photographer, may struggle to 'find a market'... due to 'lack of interest'. I have seen other excellent documentary photography before (am sure GCW would back this up if he reads), only 'managing' to be published in AP, as no-one else would touch it/pay...

Good spot, Big Will - that was the one I found most incredible too..

11. Halley5

Halley5 Member

very powerful and thought provoking...

he has an excellent eye, and has seen some pretty amazing [****].

top post

Thanks