1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley's progress.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Thanks Andy, I've done as best I can for Harley and he's a happy little chap and I'm pretty sure he appreciates it!

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

he is starting to look like a totally different animal for the one you got .

3. Pete Bony

Yes Terry he certainly is, thanks for the compliment. Harley is not only looking so much better he is also behaving in a much more acceptable manner which shows that he has a pretty good learning ability.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. Pete Bony

Hopefully these 2 photos will show the difference between when we first got Harley when he was just skin and bones and now where the bones that were sticking out are now covered in a good show of strong and healthy muscles.
    IMG_1511.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Mark101, Zou, steveandthedogs and 4 others like this.
  5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Wow! What an improvement! I guess you should be notified for a Blue Cross medal !

6. Pete Bony

I appreciate what you are saying but I did what I needed to do for Harley, I didn't do it for "pats on the back" so please do not see it that way. I quite simply could not have left him in the terrible situation he was in at the time regardless of what it was going to cost me.

Zou likes this.
  7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Oh dear! I meant my comment simply as a pat on the back. (And I have kept dogs - some decades ago.)

It's no wonder other debates here get so toxic, and why I tend to keep out of them!

8. Pete Bony

Sorry Malcolm, please do not be offended, I didn't mead to offend. It's just that I prefer to try to live a fairly modest type of life!

9. Pete Bony

Wardle&Harley 004.JPG I was out walking Harley this morning and couldn't be bothered to find a stick for Harley to chase and carry so the little monkey decided to try to get his own stick. I don't think Harley realised that the stick he chose was still growing.:)

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That's got to be a good sign:)

My Rocky did something similar once, but it wasn't growing - I had taken him out, and due to my wonky leg I had to make a walking stick in order to get back.. I cut a suitable piece from a bush and trimmed it. Started using it as a walking stick....and Rocky decides it looks like a really nice stick to play with, grabs it and runs away . Couldn't do anything but laugh.

Now I have to remind him not all sticks are his when we see some little old lady with a walking stick...:p

steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Paw round it and not messing about...Nice! Tugging at stuff helps build muscles and gets them thinking how to destroy stuff faster. Doggy problem solving.:cool:
    _20190222_121954.JPG

12. Pete Bony

Here's a short (3 minute) video I took this morning to show how happy Harley is when he is out for his "walkies" with me at Watergrove Reservoir where I take him most mornings for an hour or two of exercise and training.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Indeed, lambs cannot climb trees, and farmers might properley shoot uncontrolled dogs chasing sheep. However I cannot imagine you letting a lurcher run wild in a field containing sheep. Squirrels and rabbits, (both healthy vegetarians) are very edible vermin as well as prey for our largely extinct predators. The chase would be very difficult to watch by many people, but would be just nature taking over from domestication. This is not quite the same as illegal hare coursing. That is set up to give an unfair advantage to the dog and the whole affair, with gambling is rather disgusting.
    Why do some very nice urban people like watching Attenburough type nature programs of wild dogs and the like hunting down cute antelope, but baulk at a domesticated dog killing a rabbit? Those people are so mixed up. I did state in my previous post that it would be nice if the squirrel found something to climb at the last moment. That would be a squirrel fit to procreate.

14. Pete Bony

I obviously would not let any dog run free in a field where there were sheep. The land where I regularly exercise Harley is a nature reserve so I will not allow Harley to chase any wild animals there. I could if I wanted to take Harley to many of the farms where I have permission to shoot but I will not as I have seen far too many "lurcher" type dogs that after being introduced to rabbits get very unsafe with cats - I for one am not going to take a chance on that as I got Harley as a pet and not a working dog.
    With regards to hare coursing much depends on how it is set up - I used to go to watch The Waterloo Cup and the way that was organised the vast majority of hares run got away without being harmed. I have no time for those who go out to course hares (Or deer) illegally - Unfortunately the police are so undermanned they are often unable to attend many of the reports of illegal coursing, and even if they do the culprits will normally have got away by the time the police arrive. This unfortunately gaves many responsible "long dog/lurcher owners" a bad name as people tend to tar far to many with the same brush. I do not want to be one of those branded wrongly and you have to remember of course that when out people go out shooting or working dogs you never know who is watching you from a distance.
    As I have said in a previous post I do not have any problem with anyone who wants to use their lurcher to (Legally) get a few rabbits for the pot (And I would happily watch the dogs working, I think there is something special about watching a good lurcher working) but I personally am not interested in going down that road with Harley.

15. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

One word.... Fantastic.