1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley's progress.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Jan 13, 2019.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am not sure with dogs but with cats they use sutures that are jus absorbed into the tissues after a while so they don't need taken out

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

In which case they should inform the patient. Or whoever accompanies the patient.

S

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would expect that the type of suture would depend on how busy the vet expected to be in a few days time. After all another visit implies another bill.
    Also why do stitches of the nonsoluble type need to be removed from a dog by a vet? If we as people need to have stiches removed then the job is done by a nurse not a doctor.

4. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying but the thing that puzzles me is why they removed the stitches from his tail but not his scrotum. Might they have used different sutures for the tail to those they used for the scrotum? The vet has been asked to phone me but as yet he hasn't!

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I expect they used absorbable sutures on the scrotom, but from what you have said about your vets I have my doubts. Do you have a pet insurance plan or legal assistance under your house insurance policy ?

6. Pete Bony

Unfortunately no to both of your questions, I was going to insure Harley through Animal Friends but I didn't get round to it.. I have however been in touch with the Veterinary Client Mediation Service and they are advising me on how to go about things from now on with the vet.

daft_biker likes this.
  7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You need a couple of bricks...
    They'll soon come around to your way of thinking.

S

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Entirely possible there are different types of sutures for different uses and sites. The two times I have sutures one time they needed removed and the other time they didn't

I would however have expected you to be told if they did or didn't need removed

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I wish you all the best, something sounds wrong. Probably wise to keep everything professional without any emotion. I expect you signed a document at the time of the operation accepting that it could go wrong, but if the vet was negligent you should be OK. Hopefully Harley recovers.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Could you use the PDSA? Not sure how the charity works if I’m honest, but it may be an avenue to explore.

11. Pete Bony

I have spoken to PDSA, RSPCA and Blue Cross and they all say that they can not help as I live outside all of their catchment areas for one of their "clinics". When they told me this I replied "what if I had been paying donations to you" - They could not offer any reply!

12. dream_police

I have just been on their website and noticed that they have recently raised £2.4 m for a hospital in Manchester. Like you, I am not in a catchment area apparently, but I can’t believe that the money raised is from the catchment area only.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Many years ago we took our cats to the PDSA for everything and were never asked where we lived. We always made a donation for each treatment and that was accepted with a smile.

14. Pete Bony

Unfortunately Nige I can only go by what they told me which is why I did not go to them initially.

15. dream_police

yeah i get that.

16. Pete Bony

Had to take Harley to the vet for an emergency appointment this morning to get his "lamp shade" collar replaced. (The littler lunatic was playing with his knotted rope toy in the park this morning and smashed it in bits).
    I asked the vet to tell me exactly what he thought about the way that Harley's tail was healing (Which I thought was in fact now healing very well) and he agreed that the tail was healing remarkably well. However he would still not rule out the possibility of another operation! (They made a point of taking a few photographs of Harley's tail today, something that I have not seen them do before, maybe they have decided that it is time to cover their backs)
    When I questioned him as to why he refused to put a dressing on the tail when one of his colleagues said it should be kept dressed at all times to protect it from getting knocked about he was a little stuck for an answer but after a little think he said he "believed" that the healing process would be better and faster without a dressing.
    I also questioned him as to why he had not returned my phone last Thursday when the receptionist had told me over the phone that she would get him to call me some time after 6:00 on Thursday evening - He said he had not been asked to phone me so I told him that maybe it was time for him to look into the "breakdown in communications" within his practice - That didn't go down too well but personally I couldn't care less about how he feels about being told that there are failings within his practice.
    Anyway Harley is back looking like a four legged desk lamp again but he is quite a happy little chappy and he is much closer to the weight that he ought to be @ 14.7 kg and he is muscling up nicely in all the right places!

daft_biker, Mark101, Derek W and 3 others like this.
  17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Don't the PDSA have allocated vets when there is no clinic in the area ? Perhaps they did but no longer do.

Have you spoken with
    Rochdale Animal Centre
    1 Redcross Street
    ROCHDALE
    OL12 0NZ

Tel:
    01706 861897
    Run by: RSPCA Rochdale & District Branch

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Soon you will need to really make Harley feel essential. Lurchers are country dogs not urban slobs.
    You will need ferrets and nets and kids, and of course Harley.
    The idea is that you go rabbiting with friends and kids, and Harley. Sometimes a rabbit will escape the nets and kids as it is chased out of its hole by a ferret. Sometimes the kids will deliberately let this happen in order to watch, and video with their smartphones, the resulting chase. Now a lurcher and rabbit in a chase is not a one sided pursuit. The chances are close on 50 50. That's what makes it exciting. Rabbits that are caught die quickly and are eaten. Rabbits that escape breed to strenghen the stock.
    I don't care whether this offends anyone or not. This is what lurchers are for. They are cruelly deprived if they don't get it.
    I make no apology for this post. I simply state what the bond between humans and lurchers is all about.
    Once upon a time I would have been horrified by it. I don't go rabbiting myself. I'm a bit of a newcomer to the country. But even so, a rabbit stew or pie without lead shot is very nice indeed.

19. Pete Bony

Learning - I quite understand what you are saying about "lurcher type dog" - Many years ago I used to breed and work lurchers and terriers throughout the Cotswolds and more recently I was very heavily involved in vermin control with both guns (Shotguns and Rifles) as well as with birds of prey. However I do not believe that a "lurcher type dog" needs to hunt to be happy - At the same time I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who does keep a lurcher/long dog and hunts with it, regardless of if it is with ferrets, lamping rabbits, coursing hares (where it is legally allowed) or foxes (As long as the dog is big and strong enough to face a fox). In my opinion a long dog/lurcher can exist very happily without the need to hunt as long as it's mind is well stimulated and it is exercised properly and adequately. This can be done nowadays by things like Flyball or Agility Trials. Flyball is what I would interested in trying with Harley when he is well and fit enough.
    I do however respect your views and opinions regarding "Lurchers and Long Dogs" (Also the title of the best book that Brian Plummer wrote closely followed by "Of Rogues and Running Dogs" , both of which I have read a few times)

Learning and steveandthedogs like this.
  20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My mate's lurcher seems to delight in running rings round my labradors anyway. Delights the owners to see them play too.

Not that I have a problem with hunting for food either. Even if it is the dog's dinner... I've told mine if they catch a rabbit I'll cook it for them.:)

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.