1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harley's progress.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Bony, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Yes. Unfortunately Harley knows where he can go so that we can not quite see what he is up to and tries to lick and nibble at his stitches. He has ad to go back to the vet again this morning to have a slightly larger cone fitted as he was still able to get his mouth to the tip of his tail to nibble at the stitches. They have told us that he must not be allowed to do that as if it doesn't heal properly it could result in the need for a total tail amputation - And a running dog like Harley would look rather odd without a rudder!

daft_biker likes this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I guess with having a relatively long tail, flexible thin body makes him pretty agile at getting to all those places. Only problem with those larger cones iis they bump into everything!
    I hate to see dogs with cut tails (obviously bits taken off for medical reasons are different) and most people who practise this just don't realise how important that tail is for communication; it's like cutting off our hands.

He certainly looks like he has the cute look down to a fine art:)

daft_biker likes this.
  3. Pete Bony

Yes, Harley certainly does have the "I'm a hard done by cute doglet that needs lots of attention" look off to a tee!

4. Pete Bony

A bit of bad news about Harley. We went to the vet this evening at 17:00 to have his stitches from his partial tail amputation looked at. The vet commented on how well it looked that he was healing so well she could see no reason why his stitches and collar could not come off. She took the first two stitches out and again commented on how good it was looking - However when she took the third stitch out part of the tail that looked like it was healing well started to crumble. The flesh literally started to fall away! His tail where they had operated was breaking down. Harley has been given a massive dose of antibiotics and we have to go back on Monday morning to review the situation. I Now suspect that Harley will have to have his complete tail amputated. ,I don't know how much that will cost and it will mean that my credit card is going to get severely hammered (Which I can ill, afford) but I have got him in to this and I will find a way to get him through it!
    I would not normally say this but please guys keep your fingers crossed for Harley!

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Done, both hands...

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Oh god, poor animal.

S

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh no, poor Harley. All fingers crossed.

8. Pete Bony

I should have added that I must be getting something right as Harley's weight is now 14.1 kg, which is much nearer to the weight he ought to be and he is starting to "muscle up" and look the way a "running dog" ought to rather than a bag of skin and bones. I will post a picture or two when I get round to taking them so that you can see his progress.

daft_biker and DaveM399 like this.
  9. AndyTake2

Hope he gets well soon, poor thing.
    Is there no way you can crowdfund his op?

10. Pete Bony

To be quite honest I hadn't thought about Crowd Funding, I've always seen that as a way of "scrounging" and my stubborn pride has got in the way of it.

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Any news on Harley?

daft_biker likes this.
  12. Pete Bony

Sorry I should have said. Harley went to the vet on Monday to have his tail assessed. It looked like it was starting to heal on it's own so the vet decided that we might be better letting nature take it's healing course and continue with Harley on antibiotics (1 tablet twice a day @ £3.60 per tablet) and see how things are looking on his next appointment on Friday afternoon. Time will tell.

13. steveandthedogs

That's good news, but £3.60? What are they?

S

14. Pete Bony

They are Calvaseptin 250mg tablets. A pack of 10 plus (I hold my hand up and forgot about) an antibiotic injection got me a bill for £36.20

15. steveandthedogs

16. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Sorry Harleys going through the wars.
    Vets certainly know how to charge. Our last Collie had lymphoma and the vet rattled through £4k like lightning.
    Brian

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

For one of my cats in 2011 a cursory examination, blood tests, a pain killer and an antibiotic then when the blood tests made it clear the kindest thing would be euthanasia, the final injection and disposal came to £550 and I complained as the vet tried to hard sell me on individual cremation for "just" £250 with the comment "If you don't do that she'll just end up in landfill"

Weird thing is I had to take Ganzi to the same practice for his snip because the vet I normally use doesn't support early neutering, total cost including a post surgery check up if needed (it wasn't) in 2017 was £75 in total.

The worse one I heard of was in another branch of my usual vets. Where the vet colluded with one partner who couldn't accept the cute kitten was now 15 with multiple health problems to keep the cat alive. The vet was all "You wouldn't want to feel you gave up on him" "Don't you think he deserves another chance?"

Husband was grinding his teeth. Cat made it to 19 but had no quality of life at all, basically, they had to carry him to his litter tray and manually express his pee for three years. Then when the vet's meal ticket AKA Jaws the cat passed away he sold them the whole individual cremation package.

In three pointless years, husband spent over £10k

Knotty likes this.
  18. AndyTake2

Any bloody vet tried to screw me over with my Rocky's health - whether keeping him alive when the time comes to let go, or push treatments that are unnecessary would find themselves facing my size 10 in the groin. Anyone who has experience of vets like this should report them immediately to the RCVS - they can only act if people complain.
    Last year there was a case of puppy farming where a vet was falsifying papers. It was reported on the BBC, which named the vet. I made a complaint to the RCVS even though I had never had contact with the pus-sucking shit, and got a reply that he was under investigation.

daft_biker and steveandthedogs like this.
  19. Pete Bony

Well it now seems that I am being well and truly screwed over by my vet. The vet that I had been seeing has maintained that Harley should have a clean dressing constantly on his tail. I had an appointment for today to have his tail checked and a new dressing put on but as the dressing fell off yesterday i called the vet to ask them if I could bring the appointment forward so that a new clean dressing could be put on and was given an appointment for yesterday evening. Harley and I were seen by a different vet (The vet I saw yesterday evening was the one that performed the original partial amputation of Harley's tail) and he said the wound should NOT be dressed (Totally the opposite to what the other vet had said) this makes me wonder which vet knows what they are talking about. One other point is that even though I pointed it out on Monday they have not bothered taking the stitches out from where he was castrated yet, which seems rather odd too as they have now been in for nearly three weeks.
    Anyway, the vet yesterday said that another operation might well be necessary as the first on had failed. I asked who would be responsible for the costs of yet another (identical) operation to which he told me that I would have to pay. If you knew the real me you can no doubt guess my reply to that.
    I have since spoken to the RCVS with a complaint and am now waiting for them to call me back.

AndyTake2 and steveandthedogs like this.
  20. steveandthedogs

Sounds like a complete change of vet is in order.

S

Zou likes this.