1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Habits and Foibles

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, May 12, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I’m not suggesting otherwise, simply saying that the signs are there. Errors are rarely the result of a single slip, usually many steps lead to the final outcome. I doubt the person making the connectors was expecting a three phase supply, I worked with them for 45 years so it is not really surprising that my approach is to expect it.

More concerning is that most people have no idea about three phase electricity. Ignorance is bliss it appears.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Bathroom electrics - it's different in the US.

At 1m 18 secs in the "Eyes Wide Shut" opening sequence (link below), the close proximity of electrics to the hand-wash basin are quite clear. I'm surprised that their 110V supply is that much safer than our 240V.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Well now you've done it!
    I had to go and look at the things didn't I?:D
    I thought it would be some fancy bit of kit, but it's a relatively simple XLR 5 pin affair. Used for stage lighting, although Wikipedia state that it is sometimes used for lighting rigs:eek: by the stupid and suicidal.:confused:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMX512
    You're right about the abbreviations though - otherwise NICAM would become NICAMx and on and on and...look, for those who don't know what the acronyms mean, use google.

OK, so XLR means eXternal Line Return. NICAM is Near Instanteous Companded Audio Multiplexing. Anyone who doesn't know what that means, your homework is a 5000 word essay on multiplexing electronic signals.
    Post it to www .IdontgiveamonkeysaboutelectronicscosIdontstudyitanymoreandyoucantrepairthethingsanyway-notthatImbitterbutthats3yearsworthofstudydownthepanjustwhentheydecidednottomakethingsfixable...dot com:p

Gezza likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Every bathroom I have ever used in the United States has had power sockets near the wash basin. In hotels there tends to be a GFI on the hair dryer.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

All the DMx kit I have tested has had 3 pin XLR connectors. That becomes a problem because it means the lighting people can pinch audio cables.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yup, *most* DMX is 5 pin XLR, except some cheapo LED lanterns use 3 pin, requiring adaptor leads. And much swearing.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting you should say that, I don’t think I have ever seen a 5 pin DMX device. Possibly the lower end lighting systems use 3 pin for convenience to allow cable sharing.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Home electrics aren't a problem if you use a little common sense. When the switch on this failed, I simply removed the live wires and covered the holes with plastic cut from a yoghurt tub. The little warning signs are courtesy of my Dymo label printer.

Multi socket reoair GZ7 P1140563.jpg

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'll make sure I give your house a wide berth then!

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I haven't blown it up in the last 40 years. Still, one doesn't know what tomorrow might bring!

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Does it? According to Wiki it doesn't. It is a Cannon part number designation for a member of their X series of connectors, the L indicates that it has a latch and dates from the 1950s. The R is apparently related to the insulation material used. Given that the connector dates from pre-1950 I think that explanation is more reasonable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector I know for a fact that an XLR connector used by Boeing had the part number XLR 3-11C.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My foible.

Being able to shut off my attention when men go on about electronics. Having been married to one... I had a lot of practice.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Married to an electronics? Wow!

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It was stimulating.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

NICAM was Near Instantaneous Companded Audio Multiplex, it is now history with digital television and QAM*
    *Quadrature Amplitude Modulation

Things have not been fixable since the introduction of surface mount technology

16. AndyTake2

Glad I never went the TV & audio route in electronics! Computer & control systems were bad enough, (the TV exam was sprung on us just 6 weeks before we took the exam, which was a panic) but the multitude of TV and especially audio protocols is enough to make the head spin. Haven't a clue what Dolby are up to this week. Atmos and 8 trillion speaker systems is probable:D

I think it was Toshiba who introduced the first non-fixable (i.e. surface mount and modular boards) in around 98/99) just as I was doing my finals for the electronics. What a great thing it was to be told the electronic servicing we were all studying was going down the pan:cool:

To be fair, the teacher told us to get into computer networking, as it was going to be the upcoming thing. A few years later I did just that, and it was interesting stuff - not quite as interesting as the IT security, but enough for a nerd like me.

17. AndyTake2

OK, that's it.
    From now on, all manufacturers have to put on the entire designation of the connector.:D
    I just want to see them write Micro Secure Digital Card with the version designation on a nano-SD card:D

or...
    Differing standards mean it is now causing brain meltdowns, so we can either accept all the different variations, or, as we are now living in the digital age, use emojis as well as the 26 letters of the alphabet.
    I won't patent the idea, just let everyone use it. Connectors which aren't yet standard could start with a picture of a turd and a question mark, anything carrying high voltage or current could use a pic of someone being fried by a bolt of lightning. If it's an audio line, a picture of a microphone.:p

My genius knows no beginning:confused:

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Same in Europe. Most have normal (for them) 2 pin sockets in bathrooms.

GFI? On page one of google search GFI does not bring up anything which looks right.;)

19. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Try GFCI

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ground Fault Interrupt. On the first page of my Google search “GFI electrical”. GFI is the American term for what is sold in the UK as an RCD. I used GFI because it we were discussing American bathrooms.

European two pin sockets, Shuko sockets, actually have an earth terminal on the sides of the connector at right angles to a line connecting the pins. If you are so inclined you will find that a 4mm banana plug fits the socket perfectly!