1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GX10 focus points

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by tazio35, Nov 2, 2007.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

Had a little play with a GX10 in Warehouse Express's new shop in Norwich today. The salesman was a nice bloke and very helpful, but knew more about Canons and Nikons so we got stuck on what must be easy if you know it:

I was using the 200mm end of the zoom and focussing on something outside the window. When I zoomed back to 50mm, it promptly focussed on the window frame. So, how do you:

1) Hold the focus still?
    2) Change the focus points?

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

The focus points are selectable with the four way rocker switch if the selector is in the right place. It has three positions, Auto, Centre and Select.
    Pressing the shutter button half way should lock the focus. What probably happened in your case was that the autofocus picked up in the dirt on the glass window, or perhaps the window frame itself.

3. tazio35

Yes, it was the frame it focussed on. Then, because I couldn't think how to fix the focus on the centre point, I couldn't make it focus outside the window again. Not much used to AF (I briefly had a Minolta 700si) but I thought it should be possible without using the zoom (what if I'd had a prime?).

They had a Pentax 10-17mm zoom on the shelf too. Very nice looking little lens.

4. Monobod

I am sure you would be over the moon with one of these cameras. The results are really great. But they are from Sony, Nikon and Canon, so this is not a unique feature. It much depends on whether you have Pentax lenses already, as I did, which determines your loyalty to one brand or another.

The autofocus is very flexible, so not a problem wit either a zoom or a prime lens and you also have direct manual focus overide from the lens ring without the need to throw a switch on the camera or lens.

5. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Just to be absolutely clear: focus point selection is by means of a three position rotary selector that is positioned around the four-way selector. They are separate controls.

6. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Focus point is selected by a small dial on the camera back. You can select centre point only (which is what I use all the time) or two forms of multi-point. The first lets the camera select the one it thinks best (madness will ensue) and the second one allows the user to select the point using the four-way rocker switch that is used also to navigate the menus (too slow IMHO).

I suggest you use centre point only. Half press on the shutter release locks the focus setting, recompose and complete the shutter release action to take the picture. Fast and effective.

7. Monobod

people used to complain the Olympus 4/3rds only has 3 points, but in fact I always used the centre one anyway and do now most of the time.

8. tazio35

Does that lock the exposure, too? Not really an issue, I suppose, but I 'spot meter' with my zoom on my Praktica MTL5B which has match needle metering. The exposure does alter when you recompose.

9. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

You can choose whether or not you want it to lock the exposure as well. There is a setting in the menus that gives the option.

10. Monobod

If you focus and lock focus with the first pressure on the sutter release button on a different part of the subject and recompose before taking the shot, it is best not to also lock the exposure, as the recomposed image may be brighter than the first one. This wil give an overexposed shot.

11. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Ditto here, I stick with centre point, and hold shutter down half way....works every time.

12. iancandler

iancandler Member

There is also an overide button immediatly above the selector that allows you to go straight to central focus point when in either the select or auto (its clearly marked AF)