1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GX-1S firmware

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by tazio35, Feb 16, 2008.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

Now I've got used to my GX-1S I've decided to be brave and upgrade the firmware to the newer version on Samsung's website. Do I download the file to my SD card via the laptop card reader and then put the card in the camera, or do I plug the camera straight into the computer.

I don't want to mess this up...

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Does the firmware update correct a problem that you are experiencing or provide additional functions that the camera currently does not have?

If not why bother?

3. tazio35

The Samsung website doesn't say, but googling tells me it adds support for SDHC cards, which can't be a bad thing. Maybe there are also some 'behind-the-scenes' updates, too.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Tazio,

Here is a link - which you probably already have -- with pictures :cool:
    showing how to do the firmware upgrade :) And, FWIW, I have done a few
    firmware upgrades and find the "picture explanations" really useful :)

Also, as Nigel mentions, not all firmware upgrades are a necessity but it
    is best to check it out and the nice thing is that you can do them whenever
    you feel like it :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. tazio35

Hi Jack

Where's the link in your post? I presume you pointed me to the Samsung website which I concluded did want me to put the firmware on the card and then the card in the camera. This I duly did and nothing's broken. :cool:

6. Done_rundleCams

Re: GX-1S firmware ... WHOOPS :eek:

Dreadfully sorry old chap .... Here ya go:

http://www.samsungcamera.com/customer/download/cus_firmware_view.asp?suc_seq=22

Cheers,

Jack

7. tazio35

Yup, that's the page I used. Amazingly, it all looked just like that. :D

8. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

The process of upgrading is simple, quick and painless. As the instructions point out, you need to get the upgrade firmware file into the root directory of the memory card and then use this when you start the upgrade process. Putting the firmware on the card is done before the upgrade is started and so it doesn't matter how you get it there, either using the camera connected to the PC or via a card reader.

9. tazio35

After all the things I'd read about it being possible to ruin the camera etc if the batteries go down, I'd thought it was quite an epic task.

I used the card reader on the laptop to keep the whole camera/batteries issue out of the loop for that stage. It was indeed quick and painless.

10. Done_rundleCams

well done Adam :), the first time I did a firmware upgrade (at work) I took the time to charge up
    my AA's which had been charged the day before :eek: .... just to be safe than sorry :rolleyes:

Since then, I have a done a few for customers visiting Vancouver, albeit usually so their camera's
    can take a larger card :) and, so far, I am glad to say we have had just happy customers :D

Cheers and, OOC, what was the upgrade for????

Jack

11. tazio35

Thanks, Jack. :)

I think the upgrade is to allow bigger SDHC cards to work, though I don't have one so I can't check that... ;)