1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Guitar - first attempts

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by JenniF, Jan 23, 2018.

1. JenniF

JenniF Member

Hi all,

Very new to the world of photography, attached is a shot from a tinker with the manual focus on my new mirrorless camera. Any suggestions for composition or editing would be welcome! Thanks. Guitar.jpg

2. JenniF

JenniF Member

And possibly I've failed at the first hurdle by making the file attached too small [face palm]

3. JenniF

JenniF Member

Second time lucky.. guitar 2.jpg

4. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I rather like it (although it would be miles better if it was a Gibson :p). It'd be a bit better with some of the left side lopped off - up to the hand maybe. Love the out-of-focus bits 'n all and it works well in mono. Good effort.

Done_rundleCams and JenniF like this.
  5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I would say, whipe the dust. Apart from that from that I like the picture and the idea, I agree the left could be tighter, the "something" on the couch is bright and distracting. And no Epi is fine no need to get a Gibby.

JenniF likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Detail shots are all about the detail right? So I like it generally, but here's some super picky feedback.

Dust as others have mentioned.
    The three bright spots (blurred) above the neck roughly in the centre are distracting, not sure what caused them, but now I've seen them I can't look away.
    Square(r) crop might help. My trick (learned from someone else) if you use Lightroom is to crop with the Lightroom 'lights out' mode. So go to Crop, press L twice (all you can see now is the image), no distractions, complete the crop, press L once more.
    Can't decide if I'd like both Special _and_ Epiphone in focus.

JenniF likes this.
  7. JenniF

JenniF Member

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments. The dust really annoys me - mostly because I didn’t notice it until I downloaded the photo this morning, I need to get better at my ‘full screen’ detail viewpoint!

I think the three spots are light reflecting off the belt buckle but am not sure, will give the editing tip a try.

And yes, I think my husband would like it better if it was a Gibson as well

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  8. JenniF

JenniF Member

On second look, it’s the reflection in the gloss of the guitar shoulder. I’d like to play around with that more to see what reflection that part of the body of the guitar could provide in a differently posed shot.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's the bane of all still life photography in my limited experience. I took some shots of some bobble heads I have on my desk, looked great, open them up, felt embarrassed, dusted my whole desk twice.

JenniF likes this.
  10. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Well Jenny, as you know (like your husband has pointed out) the formula for the right amount of guitars at any given time is current number +1...

JenniF likes this.
  11. JenniF

JenniF Member

As long as the same calculation applies to cameras, that’s fine by me

12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It does, Well at least to lenses.

JenniF likes this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

As far as composition is concerned, you need to avoid light and / or messy stuff in the background. Also I think in this case you could have let tehe depth of focus go a bit deeper, so there is something more tangible to appreciate. Nice start.

JenniF likes this.
  14. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Listen, console your husband with the thought that if it was a Gibson he'd probably have had to spend another £XXX on a guitar tech after purchase to rectify their shoddy workmanship. Epiphone's doing all right these days ;)

Re the pic. I like it and its just a pity about the light coloured bit caused perhaps by your husband's shoe?

JenniF likes this.
  15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Jenni,

I'm with Taxor with this photo, lopping off the left side bit wise :). As for the dust, better on the guitar than
    on the sensor ;)

Cheers,

jack