1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings from Scotland!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by CPRobertson, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CPRobertson

CPRobertson Active Member

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!

The name here's Callum - been into photography for a while but never really put much effort into improving! Recently got my first DSLR (Pentax K-50), having owned a bridge camera (Fujifilm HS10) for a good few years now; and a compact Canon Powershot G6 for a good decade before that!

ANYWAY - I want to improve as a photographer; and first on my agenda is composition!

The bridge taught me a lot in terms of the technical side of things; if I want to take a particular shot, I generally can - BUT the problem is that the shots I want to take aren't great! I just haven't had much cause to sort my artistic skills; nobody to critique my images; I need to be told what's wrong with them!

So here I am! Here to learn; here to take a journey!

Geren likes this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

CPRobertson likes this.
  3. CPRobertson

Thanks @Geren! I'll need to make use of the appraisals forum - glad you brought that up! I've still to give the forum headers a browse - don't want to go posting all over the place and throwing up threads in the wrong places!

Looking forward to posting some images up soon; just need to curate my current collection and I'll be good to go!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Callum and welcome.

There is a forum area called Appraisal. If you put images in there then they will attract critique. People have diverse opinions so comments don't necessarily mean there is anything "wrong" as such. The other forum, Exhibition, is for non critical comments, more discussion about the image. Forum guidelines are to resize the image to typically 800 pixels maximum side length, this fits nicely in the page and lets people on slow connections see them easily. Images can these days be uploaded directly or linked to using bulletin board code , for example from Flickr. There are instructions on how to post images at the top of the Appraisal forum.

CPRobertson likes this.
  5. CPRobertson

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the note on image sizing - I'll read the stickied threads/FAQ before posting as well just to be on the safe side!

I'm looking forward to the criticism to be honest! I'm of the opinion that it's difficult to take a "bad" photo - if you like a photo then it isn't bad; even if there are things to criticise! The trick is taking the criticism on board (and not be offended by it of course! Just no point getting offended from an honest critique!)

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

To be fair, sometimes the trick is knowing when to ignore the criticism too!

EightBitTony likes this.