1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Green" phone call...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I had a phone call this morning from someone trying to interest me in something "green". I'm quite deaf, and particularly when someone I don't know is phoning me. I asked how the caller knew the colour that interested me, but that didn't get any answer. She tried again, but didn't explain what sort of "green", and then she rang off - and I blocked the number. Am I missing out on some freebies? Smart Meter, perhaps?

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's a proposed initiative that hasn't come into play yet. Usual stuff, I believe, insulation etc. A lot of scam calls apparently trying to get people to sign up for work, and some with rather threatening tactics.
    You did well to block the caller. Do the same for anyone else. THey don't even know the details yet and just want to rip you off.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There is never anything to be gained from cold-call tele-marketing.

Zou and daft_biker like this.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'd welcome more, external insulation between the house-wall bricks and the prevailing cold winds on the west facing side of my house. There's no windows, and I'm sure decent insulation would save on my heating bills, but whenever I've enquired, it's obvious that my request isn't seen as profitable. It would also change the "look" of the house which was built to certain specifications such as "hand-made" bricks. Really?! Hand-made bricks in 1980? I somehow doubt it, but that's what the building permit stated. The real no-no is that the thickness of any extra external insulation would impinge on the allowed building line between my house and the neighbouring fence.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

External insulation blocks are now covered by Permitted Development rights.
    Daft as it sounds previous PD regulations would have meant you had to apply for Planning Permission if you wanted insulation blocks on the front of your house.

ascu75 likes this.
  6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have an old house with (mostly) solid walls and damp, and no loft because the upstairs rooms are partially 'in the roof'.
    So there is nowhere to put cavity wall or loft insulation, which can make calls like this fun if I'm feeling vindictive. But usually I just say 'I'm ending the call and barring your number'.

I did once have great fun with a call from India asking if I was having a problem 'with windows' and asking if I would like to let them access my PC to 'fix it'. After a few minutes of me talking about my current aged double-glazing, and not understanding how they could be repaired by using my PC, they ended the call and I then barred the number.

Beware Smart Meters - Big Brother is watching you and can sometimes tell when nobody is home from the electricity consumption. Once criminals hack into the system (if they haven't already done so), burglars will find this kind on information useful.

7. PeteRob

I’m relying on global warming.

Gezza likes this.
  8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

So, with our climate getting even warmer, will the next thing be the installing of air-con units, - because our more insulated houses become too hot? Regarding double-glazing cold callers, I used to enjoy telling them I was only interested in triple glazed units and these had to also fit my existing sash window frames ...

9. PeteRob

My parents nearly bought a lovely house which had triple glazing. My Dad thought it odd. It was ages ago - well before double glazing was pervasive. It niggled. They did some unscheduled visits, just to look at the outside and make their minds up. It was just a lovely spot. On the “just one more time, then we’ll decide” an US AF fighter plane went over at a couple of hundred feet. There was an airbase runway just the other side of a slight ridge.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Do you mean to tell me that you turn everything off if you go away for a few days?
    I have lights on timers that come on before sunset, a radio that comes on in the morning for a couple of hours and a whole range of devices that run as required, it isn't the same as using the cooker but it certainly keeps the meter/s spinning.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Robbed by burglars or the energy supply company...the choice is yours...:rolleyes:;)

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Seems a lot of effort for a burglar to go to,then again are you paranoid if they really are out to get you.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Chester AP

I had in mind knowing when you're out at the shops during the day (when we used to do such things), so not much running apart from a fridge or freezer.

14. PeteRob

No way would anyone look at SMART meter data for that, not when there is Strava.

15. Chester AP

I had to look up 'Strava'. Since I'm not a slave to social media, I assume I'm safe.

Catriona likes this.
  16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There wouldn't be much more running during the day if we were in, it would be very difficult to determine whether the house was occupied.

ascu75 likes this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I just dislike them getting rid of meter readers and not reducing the price of electricity, I was one of the last to do my insurance by direct debit because it did away with the ‘insurance man‘

18. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I keep getting calls from "the credit card security department" telling me that there was a suspicious
    purchase of $5000.00 made with my Credit card and if I did not make the purchase I should immediately
    call the following number.

Some people fall for this I guess.

19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately many do.
    We're OK here though. My wife got a text saying she had won a few millions on the Lottery, she just has to reply to the text. :D

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Me too. That's 30 seconds wasted... :D