1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand National 2014

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fen, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Grand National tomorrow...

These are my choices. Will pick three of them to put a bet on in the morning.
    - Long Run
    - Teaforthree
    - Twirling Magnet
    - Rose of the Moon

If Ermintrude was still here she would be wanting to bet on the same ones as me as she feels that I am normally lucky with this race...

If Chris Cool was around he'd be setting up a sweepstake...

But there not... So want are other people going to have a punt on?

This is not a thread for complaining that the Grand National is a dangerous race for the horses and that it shouldn't be run.

I agree that it is dangerous, however I think they should shoot the jockeys as well if their horse is put down due to injury.

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Plus all those who put a bet on as after all, that's why they are running in the first place...!!

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

^^WHS^^

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Is that lot like the BBC R4's TODAY programme's racing selection? :rolleyes::D

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I always thought that was Huw Evans :confused:

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Its Teaforthree's turn this year! End of story........

7. MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky Well-Known Member

I think you're right Bob :)

8. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Whoops! I feel like the exposure meter in my Canon, it often makes mistakes!

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Normally I reckon that I am immune to sponsorship advertising but having just finished a new terrace in the garden I watched the race and decided that I really needed an whisky mac!

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Wouldn't know... Came up with my list last night.

Not that I did any good this year. Just seen the results.!

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oh oh! Sounds just like the usual TODAY racing tips. Better luck next time. Gather there was drama again this year; something on internet news (Yahoo) of a big row between the Stewards & the riders?

12. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I picked my first ever Grand National Winner in 1969 , - Highland Wedding , I was 13 .
    My Dad was a bit was a Horse Racing fanatic , he even took my Mam to the Chester Races on their Honeymoon , - honestly !

Now , living on Skye , I never bet but I did break that rule 2 years ago when the Grand National was on .

I'd been looking at the runners , and doing my usual thing , picking about 10 horses with a chance of winning , then narrowing them down to 5 and betting on one of those 5 .
    That day , Jennie , my Wife asked me ' Aren't you going to have a bet on the Grand National ? '
    I didn't have an account with a Bookmaker , so I replied ' Can't be bothered , haven't got an account , and I can't be bothered setting one up ' .

At 4pm , Jennie says , ' I'll set an account up for you if you want a bet ' .

' It's too late , the race goes at 4.15pm ' says I .

Being the determined sort , Jennie goes about setting up an account with a famous Bookie .
    Tick tock .
    The race is about to start .
    ' Which horse do you want ? '
    ' Neptune Collonges ' .
    ' It's not accepting it , I'll try again ' .
    Race starts , but they're called back , it's a false start .
    This gives Jennie a few more minutes .
    ' It still won't accept it , the little thing keeps going round and round ' .
    Race starts for real this time .
    The little thing on the computer keeps going round and round which means that the famous Bookie hasn't received my bet of £10 to win on Neptune Collonges at 33/1 .
    Neptune Collonges is a grey , there are 3 grey horses in the race , and I haven't got a clue which one he is .
    Two horses approach the last fence . One of them is Neptune Collonges .
    My horse wins by a nose , probable the shortest length in Grand National History for a Winner .
    I run upstairs where Jennie is on her Potters Wheel , and say ' If that bet has been accepted by..........then we've won £340 !!
    ' Hang on , I'll check it for you ' .
    The computer stated that , yes the bet had been accepted .

I then start to jump up and down while simultaneously banging my stick on the floor , my face resembling that of a very happy lunatic ! [​IMG]

I haven't had a bet since , though as usual yesterday I did narrow my horses to my Top 5 .
    The Winner wasn't among them . Three of them were in the First 5 which finished and one finished 7th .
    I've still got it .