1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Gots me a new camera :o … K-50

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

… in noir :)

Cheers,

Jack

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Have fun!

We'll look forward to the full detailed review in due course...:)

3. Done_rundleCams

Hi Alex,

Fun being the operative word :) I've got my first query about the camera
    which was raised something pointed out on the camera by a mate. He said, "hey, your camera has an effects button. What does that do?" "What?", says I. On the side by the RAW button is a slash (/) and a FX button :eek: and, something, for me to look into :)

So, far so good …. pics wise :)

Cheers,

Jack

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Jack
    that is a brilliant camera you have there.
    I wish I hadn't had to get rid of mine:( But I hope you have great times with it

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hello Jack,

Great news, the K-50 is excellent. Pentax are certainly on the up and up. I have just read a full report in a well respected Pro magazine on the 810 and the noise at high ISO is something else. The K-50 should give you excellent night time photography potential.

I had thought of selling my K-5, but the return is derisory, so it will stay in the bag for those times when the K-3 is perhaps a little tested. No doubt that the higher one pushes the resolution the greater the noise problem becomes as the ISO rises. It is a trade off, as with most things.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your street photography too.

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Great news Jack :)

I won't ruin the surprise of the FX button. I really want to, but I won't ;)

7. Done_rundleCams

Thanks David … Well, so far, it's performed admirably, like all my Pentax kit, when I perform up to snuff. Mind you, it's only been a couple of days ;) Looking forward to shooting something sporty, so I can try the TAV(TVA?) mode :)

Cheers and, remember, you can always come home :D

Jack

8. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

I'm looking forward to scouring the late night streets of Vancouver et al with the K-50, just so I can see how it performs in low light. :) So far, it's only been "decent to good light" shooting which are in my FB albums :)

The one thing I've got to get used to is that I now have two(2) dials for shutter speed and apertures :D

Cheers and liking your K-3 pics :)

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

Thanks ATV :) and, as for ruining surprises, don't worry about that …. whenever, I pick up a book that looks interesting, I'll check the last sentence/paragraph and if it peaks my interest, I'll pick it up :) Same thing with movies, people will say, "oh, I don't want to ruin the ending for you" and I tell 'em, "don't worry because 99.9% of movie endings are cr@p, anyway." ;)

So, blast away with the "FX" button info :)

cheers,

Jack

10. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Your brand loyalty is phenomenal Jack.

I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

Best wishes.

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

This may be another crap ending for you Jack, as I may have over egged it... It's a programmable function button, I have anti-shake off/on set to mine. :eek:

12. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

Is there any advantage to having the anti-shake system off (aside from steeling your nerves, that is)? I keep mine on all the time, but now my curiosity is piqued. Are there times I shoud have it off?

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, when on a tripod or monopod. For some strange reason it seems to introduce shake instead of curing it.

14. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Chris and I deviated a wee bit -- Konica Hexar (late 90's/early 2K's) and my first digital, Canon G2 (Sept 2003 to December 2004) -- and then back to Pentax DSLR's, including some wee ones ;) And, after, almost, a week, so far so good :D

Cheers and Hi to Elsie :) ….. oh yeah, check The Lounge for a thread for you :D

Jack

15. Done_rundleCams

Ah, one of those Function buttons, thank you Atavar :)

Cheers,

Jack

16. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

\o/ congrats Jack. Looking forward to some more photos... :D

17. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Gary :) and, ironically, I'm just about to post some pics :D

Cheers,

Jack