1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gots me a new camera :o … K-50

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

… in noir :)

Cheers,

Jack

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Have fun!

We'll look forward to the full detailed review in due course...:)

3. Done_rundleCams

Hi Alex,

Fun being the operative word :) I've got my first query about the camera
    which was raised something pointed out on the camera by a mate. He said, "hey, your camera has an effects button. What does that do?" "What?", says I. On the side by the RAW button is a slash (/) and a FX button :eek: and, something, for me to look into :)

So, far so good …. pics wise :)

Cheers,

Jack

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Jack
    that is a brilliant camera you have there.
    I wish I hadn't had to get rid of mine:( But I hope you have great times with it

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hello Jack,

Great news, the K-50 is excellent. Pentax are certainly on the up and up. I have just read a full report in a well respected Pro magazine on the 810 and the noise at high ISO is something else. The K-50 should give you excellent night time photography potential.

I had thought of selling my K-5, but the return is derisory, so it will stay in the bag for those times when the K-3 is perhaps a little tested. No doubt that the higher one pushes the resolution the greater the noise problem becomes as the ISO rises. It is a trade off, as with most things.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your street photography too.

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Great news Jack :)

I won't ruin the surprise of the FX button. I really want to, but I won't ;)

7. Done_rundleCams

Thanks David … Well, so far, it's performed admirably, like all my Pentax kit, when I perform up to snuff. Mind you, it's only been a couple of days ;) Looking forward to shooting something sporty, so I can try the TAV(TVA?) mode :)

Cheers and, remember, you can always come home :D

Jack

8. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

I'm looking forward to scouring the late night streets of Vancouver et al with the K-50, just so I can see how it performs in low light. :) So far, it's only been "decent to good light" shooting which are in my FB albums :)

The one thing I've got to get used to is that I now have two(2) dials for shutter speed and apertures :D

Cheers and liking your K-3 pics :)

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

Thanks ATV :) and, as for ruining surprises, don't worry about that …. whenever, I pick up a book that looks interesting, I'll check the last sentence/paragraph and if it peaks my interest, I'll pick it up :) Same thing with movies, people will say, "oh, I don't want to ruin the ending for you" and I tell 'em, "don't worry because 99.9% of movie endings are cr@p, anyway." ;)

So, blast away with the "FX" button info :)

cheers,

Jack

10. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Your brand loyalty is phenomenal Jack.

I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

Best wishes.

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

This may be another crap ending for you Jack, as I may have over egged it... It's a programmable function button, I have anti-shake off/on set to mine. :eek:

12. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

Is there any advantage to having the anti-shake system off (aside from steeling your nerves, that is)? I keep mine on all the time, but now my curiosity is piqued. Are there times I shoud have it off?

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, when on a tripod or monopod. For some strange reason it seems to introduce shake instead of curing it.

14. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Chris and I deviated a wee bit -- Konica Hexar (late 90's/early 2K's) and my first digital, Canon G2 (Sept 2003 to December 2004) -- and then back to Pentax DSLR's, including some wee ones ;) And, after, almost, a week, so far so good :D

Cheers and Hi to Elsie :) ….. oh yeah, check The Lounge for a thread for you :D

Jack

15. Done_rundleCams

Ah, one of those Function buttons, thank you Atavar :)

Cheers,

Jack

16. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

\o/ congrats Jack. Looking forward to some more photos... :D

17. Done_rundleCams

Thanks Gary :) and, ironically, I'm just about to post some pics :D

Cheers,

Jack