1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Google support for Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by RogerMac, Sep 3, 2014.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Somebody told me today that "Google no longer supports IE" that was news to me as I use Firefox, Chrome and IE at different times on various computers and and had not noticed any problems. Does anyone know if that statement is true and if so what consequences flow from that lack of support?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In what context? Seems a nonsense statement as it is, especially if you mean google search engine is going to be deliberately incompatible with ie. That would be dumping a large market.

However I often get "incompatibility" or "compatibility" warnings and invites to update my browser on my work computer as the corporate desktop evolves glacially. So in the context " older versions of ie may not work with some sites ...." there is some truth

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. RogerMac

Thanks for the response. I am afraid that this might be (probably is) a bad case of Chinese whispers but it was repeated to me as if Google would not return all same search results under IE as it would under Chrome etc. I did wonder if it was related to the censorship problem that is confirmed. As you will gather I have no real idea as to what is at the bottom of this and was hoping to pick up some clues (and I have difficulty believing it) Apparently it affects the choice of a PC one of my daughters is about to buy

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Oh I see - then she is not talking about "Google" as such. Low end computers have been shipping with an operating system called Chrome. She means will IE run on the chrome operating system - in that sense I don't expect so - why should it? it is designed to run on MS Windows.

5. RogerMac

Thanks that does make some sort of sense, as to where the rumour may have started.

6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

thats not too far off the mark as G is split across several datacenters dotted around the world and at any time just by hitting the refresh you can get a different set of results moving between the DC's- so jumping from IE to Chrome very easily could show a slightly different results page. The main DC for the UK is Dublin ( I wonder why !!!!) then you have others within Europe

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If I access GMail on my work computer (IE only) I get a message prompting me to upgrade to Chrome, as certain features of the app are not supported in IE. Perhaps this message or something similar was the source of the Chinese whisper?

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

HTML was originally intended to be a platform neutral markup language. That worked well, didn't it?

:rolleyes: