1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Maps has undergone a change that's got me foxed

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Rupert49, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I occasionally go onto Google Maps and zoom into a particular area, activate Satellite and thence Street View via the little globe icon at the bottom right of the screen. From there it was possible to navigate along a street and observe the final few hundred yards of a journey I might have planned.

Now, when I activate the globe icon a pop-up appears proclaiming that "Google Maps does not have permission to use your location" - 'Learn More'. OK, so I click 'Learn More' and there's a whole raft of text to do with my position on the map (something about a blue dot). Under all that there are guides to how I might change my settings to allow Google the permission they say is denied them. Among these are four web browsers, none of which is mine!

Obviously I'm fixed to my home office desktop PC (i.e. not mobile) so anything they say about my location seems somewhat strange. My OS is W10 x64 and my browser is MS Edge based on Chromium (I couldn't be more up to date if I tried) .. so what do I need to do to bypass or comply with the Google Maps permission requirement?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have something similar on my mac. At some point I made a global operating system setting that denies apps access to my location data*. Curiously it isn't an issue with google maps which defaults to my home but other web pages can't get the data even if they pop up a request. I seem to have deleted google earth, goodness knows why, perhaps there was a problem with it. I have a PC for work but that is still running 8.1 and google earth, which I only use for work, works OK on that but it will be an old version.

*latest mac OS you have to permission an application to read/write from your disk, specific areas too, during install. I guess it is good for security. You also have to permission if an App can respond to system messages - e.g. if it can be aware of USB connection being made.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am sure the terminology comes from Apple but "you have to permission" is cumbersome surely "you have to permit" or "you have to give permission" would be easier and much better.

4. PeteRob

my sloppy english

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

How refreshing, many people would just have agreed that it was Apple's fault.

6. PeteRob

My (very old) shorter oxford is a bit confusing. It says it can be the act of giving leave as well as the result of permitting. Chambers says it is a noun. I have often (obviously incorrectly) used it as a verb but I also most often use permit as a noun, working in an industry where permits are required for everything. I would see the act of permission as resulting in a permit and the issuing of a permit requiring permission. In normal speech I'd use allow instead of permit(v).

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My 1971 Complete OED has the word Permissioned, meaning to have been given permission, it also says rare in the entry. I suppose that may mean that you are correct but I have never previously heard the word. Modern usage would be permitted.

8. PeteRob

I hesitated at taking out the £90 OED subscription just to say what it said on the matter! I think you are correct. It is a noun and the verb is permit.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Now you know why I have a 1971 Book Club edition:)

10. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

In case anyone's still checking this thread, I ought to say that I subsequently downloaded the Firefox browser specifically for the Google Maps thing, and all worked just fine as it always used to!