1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Chrome

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Searching using the Google Chrome web browser in Windows 10 I’m suddenly getting French sites (in French) for the first few results. Anyone else experiencing this? I’ve uninstalled then fresh install but no change. Not a great problem but it is a bit strange. Firefox, Brave, Opera and Windows browsers all act normally.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not seen this behaviour. Only a few results for any search subject? If it was a setting I’d expect all or nothing.

I hit a malicious and hidden link last night, thank goodness I use an ipad to browse, not a computer. It was buried in an on-line cycling magazine page. Masquerading as a pop-up google service survey it wouldn’t go away, the browser gets locked to the page. I had to delete all browsing history and website data, which on an ipad is a master settings command, not a browser command. Apparently there are 2 such going the rounds.

3. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I was on the beach at Dover a few years back and my phone reception was from France. Maybe Google is suffering a similar problem :oops::eek:

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

20 plus years ago I made a phone call from Masada, the bill showed the call was made in Jordan.

ascu75 likes this.
  5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My wife uses Chrome with no such issues.That is an odd thing to get French results.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Used to get it all the time on my work computer - when I worked for a French company, as the IP address was allocated to France. Get it from time to time now when I've been searching for things in France.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Halfway up Glaramara in the Lake District, I got a "Welcome!" text from Vodafone Ireland...