1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Tip

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by CHIPS, Jul 21, 2002.

1. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Never pick up the wrong grad and pour the fix into the tank first. Obvious of course but for whatever reason I did just that yesterday and erased two films worth of team photos, sponsor cheques, action shots and trophy presentations. That makes a lot of people plus a sports editor who's not going to be too chatty tomorrow. Could have been worse I suppose - could have been a wedding. Now tell me more about this digital thing.

2. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

i did that once, put the fix in first, i realised after about 5/10seconds, pored it out, rinsed it thought with water, and started again. films camer out fine.

3. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Reckon it was about 30-40 seconds in this case - washed hastily/thoroughly - too late.

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Hello Mr. Chips…

…when you start to go senile like me, then it’s handy to have a digital backup… and why not!

Sorry to hear about your accident [​IMG], however a nice red label with the words ‘FIX’ on, will help keep your mind alert... message over, so it's...

...Goodbye Mr. Chips… :)

Chris [​IMG]

5. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

In case you reach blindly in the heat of the moment for bottles that may or may not be correst stick a bit of velcro or something on it as a 'tactile' reminder of which one is in your hand,/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

<font color=red>You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think!</font color=red>

6. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

I'm contemplating barbed wire or electrodes.

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

....that's why I NEVER store my Busmills alongside the paint thinner! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Once bitten twice shy!)Will

I look <font color=red>GOOD<font color=black> in wellies!

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

A tip I learned at the College which has stood me in good stead is the following, when making up the fix or measuring out previuosly saved fixer solution. Drop the tip of the film leader, that you have already cut from the film, into the solution, which of course, will test if the Fix is still working and also prevents you from mistaking the fix from the developer.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

That is a good tip Ron. But another one is make sure the fixer is available before you start developing then prepare it WHILST developing, sod bit's of velcro etc.

Slimey NRIPN

i never think when i write
    nobody can do two things at the same time

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

True Brian, I do the prepare Stop and Fixer whilst developing when I'm using ID11 1 &#43 3 and Rodinal 1 &#43 50, but I still put the film leader tip in to check that the Fix is working properly (i.e. clears in less than a minute) or allows me to increase the amount of time in the Fix.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And an even better tip is to leave the gin, whisky, beer etc until after the fix. Less fun, but at least you know if you've put the fix in before the dev!

Nick BSRIPN

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

We'll have none of that sort of misleading advice young Roberts, I myself have been known to partake of a fine chilled Budvar during the processing of the odd roll of Agfapan, this is a civilised pastime I'll have you know, a matter upon which I do think the revered Snail and Stoned Rabii (or should that be Rabit) will support me/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif (haven't figured out this HTML for displaying emoticons yet)

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In truth I can't dev a film without a beer or a malt, but too many is trouble!

Nick BSRIPN

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

True, too many can create a modicum of confusion, why do you think I use all these fail safe methods, talking of which although slightly off thread and topic, I noticed in PPs' Letters page a picture of Wills' Dolly the Sheep with her head in a large black object and imediately thought Oerr, if Will sees that he'll get all hot and bothered/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

15. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Not to be outdone by AP, the sheep shot was their 'Erotic supplement' /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    Just to get back on thread, can anyone explain the joys of drink to me? I got ratted several times when I was a student but never enjoyed the taste of the stuff and haven't drunk since then. I have tried to and tasted what I have been told were fine whiskey, brandy et al but apart from a very occasional post prandial cognac (and only then when in France)I don't touch the stuff./img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

<font color=red>You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think!</font color=red>

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The joys of drink? Well, I wouldn't drink if I didn't like the taste - for me, that's a major part of it. Of course, the euphoria produced by alcohol is pretty good as well. But I am ever thankful not to have been touched by the dark side of drink.

Nick BSRIPN

17. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I'm with Nick, it is the differences in the flavours and tastes of the Beers, Wines and Scottish Malts which I enjoy, considering that some of these can be extremely subtle is again part of the enjoyment. The added bonus side effect, that if you imbibe just enough, then you can be aware of a sense of wellbeing. Also they do say that taken in moderation alcohol, medically speaking is good for you, just depends what they mean by moderation/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

18. BigWill

....suppose eight gallons a day is overdoing it a tad then?

Big(Must cut back!)Will

19. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Question Will, are you a Paramedic? or just their best customer?/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

20. BigWill

I intend to donate my body to medical science........ready pickled!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill