1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Good options for used camera and lens for landscape

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by KarlMan, Jan 16, 2020.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You can get a new Nikon D750 and 24-120 f/4 lens for under £1500 at the moment
    But
    As others have said, it is very important to try before you buy. How soon do you wish to take the plunge and get your kit? Where do you live? There is the SWPP Show in London next week-end, where many of the major manufacturer'#s products will be available to try during the trade show, and then in mid March at the NEC, the Photography Show where there will be an even larger amount of kit to try out and buy at often special low prices.

You need to decide what is important first - full frame, APS-C, micro 4/3rds or whatever, then if you want a zoom lens or a prime or two. Will sheer size and weight be an issue? What about ease of handling and adjusting parameters such as ISO and shutter speed? Don't rush into making a decision !!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Poster hasn’t signed in since putting the question.

3. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

hi, in reply to Geff, I only use a D800, and with the right lens I have been able to shoot birds in flight. I have also been able to get good shots with a manual focus 600mm f5.6, though not easy!! It is not the easiest camera to get the best out of, but once mastered produces wonderful images. A challenge to use in low light, being it's only flaw.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It isn't your first camera though is it? Karl is restarting and I think a more generalist camera would make his life easier, and getting good results is encouraging. The points you make are exactly the reasons I suggested that a D750 might be a better initial purchase.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Or the more complex and expensive alernative developed by Nikon, as long as it isn't wireless and dependent upom a minute battery that is probably impossible to replace when the transmitter no longer works.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Perhaps he's not expecting so many promt and helpful replies.
    Here is another: the original Sony full-frame mirrorless is the featured secondhand bargain in the latest issue of AP.
    Some of the regular advertisers also list a reasonable selection of secondhand lenses to fit it.
    A body and suitable lens may be possible within the budget.