1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Good Brexit News

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We import too much food. Brexit should be good for British farmers. I agree that in the short term producers of lamb may suffer.
    Just lets make sure that we don't do a stupid trade agreement with the Americans. We don't need their dumped steel. We don't want their dumped nasty food products, and we don't want their aeroplanes that drive themselves into the ground.
    We do need a massive Buy British campaign. I accept that there will be sacrifices to be made. Personally I will drink less French wine, but that might be good for my health.
    I have already reduced my French wine consumption in favour of Weston's and Healey's cider. Only 8.2% and 6% abv respectively.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Your cheesemakers must be pretty slow - we've had local brie (and camembert) for decades.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Somerset brie, Cornish brie already in the shops here, and I'm sure there's more besides

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You could have always bought British in the past you know. You didn’t have to wait for the country to be in the shit before doing so.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've tried selling them both and found and it was French brie that sold much better. Highland brie is still available locally too.

That said I'm not sure eating less of it will be much of an issue.....cheese lovers don't usually look like they are about to starve:eek:;).

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oi! I resemble that remark!

Gezza and daft_biker like this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is pasteurised versus unpasteurised that makes the difference? Or perhaps the British varieties are usually uneatable unless on special offer and out of date? A lot of the British varieties would knock nails in.

daft_biker likes this.
  10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Sold in several supermarkets around here including the Co-Op who have their own branded version of it, which is well worth trying I think it is better than most French Brie's apart from Le President

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Oh yes, I love Le President butter too, but can only get it down in a general store in Tarbert, Isle of Harris, when I go there!

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes, it is rather nice. And they still do a 'slightly salted' version. Shame our Sainsbury's insists on charging 25% more for it than their own.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

I used to love M&S version of unsalted butter, which reminded me of the ones we used to smuggle home from our French day trips.

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Well I like the Somerset Brie my wife gets from Waitrose and whilst on the subject of buying British she always checks where my new cars come from, used to be Cheshire and for the last two Sunderland.

Catriona likes this.
  15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Le President do nice pots of spreadable Brie and Camerbert too.

I used to get their butter too, but have moved onto butter with sea salt crystals in. Very nice. Our Aldi has now started selling it, so saves about 50p per packet compared to Waitrose own brand which we usually get.
    Some butter goes straight through me though. I can't eat Lurpak for instance.

Catriona likes this.
  16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I suspect that, as in bygone days, the Dover ferries will do great business in people nipping over to Carrefour and Mamouth in Calais. I used to load up with a bootfull of stuff. Customs checks might be a bind though.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

We've done it both ways in the past. Sometimes the car, sometimes the coach. We never had problems with customs either way. However, now they might be a bit iffy, although I'm guessing they'll have enough to do with the carriers waiting to go through.

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Aircraft carriers? Carrier bags? Corona Virus carriers?;)

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

Don't be picky! Freight carriers - without whom, my little world would be depopulated within weeks.
    :p :p

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Migrant carriers, I would guess.

Yes they'll probably leave us alone. I hope Carrefour and Mamouth are still there? I used to get cases of Kanterbrau Gold at 35p a bottle and fruit flans that could feed an army.