1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Golden-ringed Dragonfly - Cordulegaster boltonii

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by John_Baker, Jun 5, 2011.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

One of my favourites, first of the year and always good to see, poor girl was looking rather cold and allowed me to get very close - A couple of shots from the G11 at a British Dragonfly Society meeting on the Grand Western Canal at Tiverton

1 - G11 with a Leica Elpro 3 (+1.66 dioptre lens), 580EX on Speedlight Bracket SB-1, plus off camera cord…
    [​IMG]

2 - Fitted a Raynox DCR 250 (+8 dioptre) allowed me to start getting in a bit closer, lighting as above
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Never seen one of these, I don't think we get them in our area. Lovely set of shots.

3. John_Baker

Hi Jacqui they are fairly common, but they do tend to hide away and hang on bushes, this girl was about 100meters away from water. They are not easy to photograph as they very long and they are nealy always up against plants - for more information have a look at... http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/golden-ringed-dragonfly

This was a BDS field trip, so we were able to get really close, due to the cold day things were not moving too fast...

[​IMG]

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

They are beautiful creatures John.As I said to MickLL,I wish there was habitat near where I live.

As an aside,when I was a child someone told me they were dangerous and had a painful sting!!I believed it:eek: How naive of me;):cool:

5. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Lovely! Never seen that species before, huge thing it is! The small blue ones ( Azure Damsels?) are the only one I've managed to see that are similar. Love it!:)

6. John_Baker

There have been stories of people being nipped by larger dragons!!!!

They are lovely, small blues could be a number of things from Azure, through common blue and Blue Tailed or even a Variable...

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I've never heard of anyone being nipped - but what a sci-fi story! Giant man-eating Dragonflies.;);)

I can think of up to 10 species (although some of them are very rare) that could possibly be described as a 'small blue'.

John did you take the standard shot showing the whole insect in situ - all sharp? If so please can we see it?

MickLL

8. John_Baker

Hi MickLL – I know I could have expanded the list, but I thought I would stick to the more common variations of blue. I was trying to add some exuvia shots on this post, but it seems that I have reached the maximum for a single thread, so I will need to do a Part II in a separate post, I will include a full shot with that.

Re bites or nips, the story I heard was that there was an incident; I quote “About four years ago at a meeting of the BDS one female member had a Golden-ringed Dragonfly land on her hand. She moved a finger of her other hand too close to the insect to point out some feature, whereupon it took hold of her finger, her reaction was to rapidly pull the digit out of the way and in doing so tore off the head of the dragonfly.” Found in a post here - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81563

Now I don’t know if the above is an urban legends, myth or just a rumour, but having seen a number dragons eat, they do seem highly efficient and seem to get through their food without too many problems…

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks John,

I'll look forward to your other shots. I have a good Emperor exuvia I could put up if you are interested.

I've never heard bite stories before although I do know that D'flies have very powerful jaws and have very little trouble chomping their way through most flying insects. I also have a (very poor) pic of paired damsels where the male has had his head bitten off by a Dragon. As I said - a very poor picture but again I could show it if you are interested.

MickLL