1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Going mirrorless / need advice

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pecazui, Oct 28, 2019.

1. pecazui

pecazui New Member

Hi, i recently got rid of my Canon 600d and i want to switch to a mirrorless system.
    I know what i like and thats olympus om-d em10 III.
    Im from Serbia and price for this model here is 660 euros with his 14-42 IIR objective.
    I need advice if there is something better for the money cos im just entering mirrorless world. Im on a tight budget so please dont recomend me something expensive, my budget is as i said before 660 euros or 750$. Im open to any manufacturer, i want to be able to use my collection of m42 lenses with it, im like advanced amateur photographer shoting raw, doing macro, landscape and some portrait photography and i would probably be satisfied with some decent kit lens like this olympus has (for all other i use my m42 prime lenses).
    So short question: is there anything better than olympus om-d em10 mark III + 14-42 IIR in that price range?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. First off - what is best for one person is not necessarily the same as best for another. So much about what makes a good camera is how much you enjoy using it. I don't keep up with the models. Early mirrorless were quite slow to focus and had some obvious blanking period after you pressed the shutter. Coming from a DSLR this was quite obvious - less so for someone coming from a phone or compact. It annoys me with my first mirrorless (Fuji XE-2) although the results are fine. Make sure that you try to see and to hold and take test shots with the camera before you buy, don't just base the decision on specification.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

+1 Everything Pete said above. Especially his advice to try before you buy.

RogerMac likes this.
  4. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Member

I would recommend you to stick with the Canon range of mirrorless camera - both the M50 and M100 are great cameras that fir in your budget

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Don't forget used stuff. You can get some great bargains that way. Also don't forget Fuji, something like the X-t20 or 30. These work well with M42, although the balance and general feel can feel a little odd, especially with longer focal lengths.

S

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

How do they resolve this requirement though, "i want to be able to use my collection of m42 lenses with it"?

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Simplest way is an M42 to EFm mount adaptor...

8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I don't know of ANY mirrorless cameras that can't be simply adapted to M42.
    With the exception of Pentax's K-01 (which has a K mount - initially designed for M42 compatibility), they all have shorter flange distances than SLRs.

I've personally used M42 with MFT, Nex & FF e-mount bodies (as well as PK SLRs).
    Autofocus adapters are available for EF lenses to all those mirrorless systems too (I've not used those as the only EF lenses I have are barely fit for paperweights)