1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go Your Own Way...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by SXH, Sep 30, 2018.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Due to a combination of weather and battery charging, I didn't get a chance to take my 'new' L10 out for a walk today, so I updated the firmware instead.

Now, most of the procedure was as expected - download the upgrade, expand it, put the .bin file on a formatted SD card, insert it in the camera and...

I expected that an option would appear in the Display Version page in the menu system, like on my Nikons. Nope. A certain amount of Googling later I found out why. The update firmware option comes up when you press the Display images button! Weird.

Mind you, someone did say, in one of the Sony threads, that Sony 'do things their own way'. Looks like Panasonic do too. Thinking about it, I have a very old (which is probably an excuse) Olympus compact that has to be turned off before you can access the option to format the card. o_O

I've got a few more old cameras that could use a firmware update. I'm fair dreading where they each hide the option... :eek:

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, an update:

To update the firmware for the Oly e-510, you have to connect the camera to the PC and run an app. Need to get a USB cable (another one!) for that.
    For the Pentax K10D, you turn it on while holding the Menu button down. This either tells you the version number or asks if you want to update it.

A couple more to do. More news to come...

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about Fleetwood Mac!:)

peterba likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, I did ask the question on another photography forum, and got a sensible answer!

Makes sense to me.