1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Glencoe winter in mono (6 pictures)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Like the other thread but in mono for the days that the light or colour doesn't play ball.

Long shadows cast on Achlaise as the low winter sun begins to set.

[​IMG]Achlaise mono by Roksoff, on Flickr

Buachaille Etive Mor from afar. It's not easy getting a different and unique shot of the Buachaille but I believe this to be. This location is hidden from the road and was found using binoculars. A long walk across the moor and a deep wade across the lochan in freezing waters makes it a difficult place to get to hence.

[​IMG]Buachaille Etive Mor (Explored #1 on 06/01/15) by Roksoff, on Flickr

Buachaille Etive Beag.

[​IMG]Buachaille Etive Beag (Explored 25/01/15) by Roksoff, on Flickr

The mountains over Ardgour on the way out of Glencoe after a miserable day with no light, just deep heavy clouds. Was a pleasant surprise to see this appearing so pulled the car over for a grab shot.

[​IMG]Loch Linnhe, Ardgour by Roksoff, on Flickr

A mono conversion and extreme crop of a colour picture already posted.

[​IMG]Into the Void (#5 on Explore 03/02/2015) by Roksoff, on Flickr

The Three Sisters, again not easy to get something original from this often photographed group of mountains so done something from afar with a longer lens looking for a different angle in an attempt to be original.

[​IMG]Stob Coire nan Lochan, Glencoe by Roksoff, on Flickr

All comments welcome good or bad, thanks for looking.

2. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Sunning set of images I love them all

The second seems to slope down to the left but I accept that it may be level.

3. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

top 2 I could put on my wall and would be proud to have taken them. I am jealous.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Some of them put me in mind of George Lowe's work in the Himalayas, especially the third and the last.

Adrian

5. Helander

Thank you Adrian, Mark and Alf.
    You may be right Alf, the second may need a level but looking at the reflection it looks bob on but looking at the lochan it could be off a little.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Now that's all well beyond a record.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Great set but it's the first one for me - that sky is to die for...

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

More lovely stuff.

I think the 2nd is my fav - it is a take on that mountain that I haven't seen before, and the elements come together wonderfully. It even says something about the different forms of enduring nature to me too.

I think it is level - reflections don't lie, but shorelines at an angle do.

9. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

All very accomplished images. Two wins for me, excellent composition and tonal range. I agree that it's not quite level, tilted to the left. There's no measurement to be taken from the shoreline since it isn't parallel to the plane of the sensor but the reflection doesn't quite look right - difficult to measure but there are a couple of features where the boundary between rock and snow on the mountain can be used to measure a true vertical with reasonable accuracy.

Four is a close second.

10. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Well-Known Member

A very strong set of images

11. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

Shoe,..stuff to be proud off.
    No2..is to die for.:)

12. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Not just the sky, the texture of the snow is a lovely detail too. My favourite as well.

13. Xenol

Xenol Well-Known Member

Superb shots. I'm torn between the first and fourth as my favorite.

14. Helander

Thank you guys, appreciate the comments.

Thanks Alex, I too believe it to be a unique take on the Buachaille. I've viewed thousands of pictures of that lump of rock and never seen another like it so I'm very proud of it but need to return to retake in better lighting conditions.
    I couldn't spend long at the location because hypothermia could have been an issue due to wet clothing after having to wade out to the island. I had no idea the tree was on an island (viewing through binoculars) until getting to the lochan edge. I was gutted when I got there. After walking so far on difficult ground I wasn't going back empty handed so wading it was.

As yet it's precise location remains a secret. :D

Thank you, I'm intrigued how you level a picture using rock and snow. Can you elaborate please?
    The level was questioned at another place and it was adjusted to suit which is the version you see here. I've had it all ways but eventually settled on using the reflection to level but agree it could be a bit iffy.

15. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Great stuff. Prefer the work in mono.

16. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

bw/colour, they're all lovely.

NIG.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I think it's off kilter. A rough correction by eye using the far shore and the water's surface, which is always level, gave this...

[​IMG]

Cropped a bit 'cos I couldn't be bothered to clone back the lost bits...

18. usernut

usernut Active Member

Beautiful images, 2 and 4 are superb. I prefer the original no;2 over the cropped version.