1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Glencoe winter in colour (5 pictures)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in a while, been busy taking pictures after an excellent winter season in Glencoe.
    Lots of snow, sometimes too much but it's all added to the fun and enjoyment of getting a picture.
    5 pictures to this set which hopefully portrays the beauty of the glen in winter.
    All colour, please see the other thread for a sample of mono pictures.

A dull day on Loch Achlaise with background mountains lost in the clag.

[​IMG]Achlaise Blues (Explored 14/12/14) by Roksoff, on Flickr

A close up and more intimate picture of the famous Buachaille Etive Mor or Stob Dearg to give it it's proper name. No colour added, this was the tone and hue long before the sun rose.

[​IMG]Stob Dearg, Buachaille Etive Mor by Roksoff, on Flickr

Lagangarbh cottage at the foot of the Buachaille. A tough shot to take due to the depth of the snow, waist deep in places. The road was mostly blocked but I was lucky enough to get in, had the place to myself.

[​IMG]Buachaille Etive Mor (Explored #4 on 15/01/2015) by Roksoff, on Flickr

The pass of Glencoe. A steep climb in deep snow pre dawn to get this one, a picture I've been after for over a year.

[​IMG]The Pass of Glencoe by Roksoff, on Flickr

Lastly what has been dubbed Super Saturday, the spectacular sunset from a couple of weeks ago. Was lucky enough to be on Achlaise, Rannoch Moor for what turned out to be an astonishing sunset. It wasn't looking promising to begin with, all the other photographers had packed up and gone long before the colour exploded. I'm not one for brash bold colours but this is starting to grow on me. The saturation has been pulled back globally along with the red, yellow and orange channels to pull the colour back in. It was a blazing sunset with all the surrounding ice, snow, rocks and land soaked in the colour of the sky.

[​IMG]Loch na Achlaise, Rannoch Moor by Roksoff, on Flickr

Comments good or bad welcome, thanks for looking.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nice to see such familiar shots in unfamiliar conditions. Grad maybe a bit too obvious on the cottage, but overall, great.

3. Helander

Thanks Mike. A grad had been mentioned on the Lagangarbh cottage before but there were no grads used in this picture. For once the ground was much brighter than the sky. That's pretty much how it was with very little processing required.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You can go right off some people...

Seriously, these are magical. Admittedly I'm a bit tired and emotional at the mo ( a dose of lurgi has knocked me back a bit, nothing serious), but they've made me well up.

Favourites? Either Stob Dearg as Mordor, or the dawn rising. I guess it's a case of he who puts in the hard yards...

Adrian

5. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Another stunning set and the cottage looks right to me.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

2 and 4 do it for me, especially two - full of brooding majesty and menace.

7. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

great shots. makes me want to jump in the car and head up there.

8. Helander

Thanks folks.
    @ Adrian, I haven't forgotten about you with regards to a photograph of the memorial to your family member on the road to Skye. I just haven't been since we last spoke.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Aha, then grad on upside down would be my solution.

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

As with the mono pix another great set but the final sunset... wow!

Gotta be another :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:...

11. Helander

You mean you can use them upside down! ;)

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Wow!

Another lovely set, and all so different. OK, they're all "Highlands, Snow, Winter", but so much variety as to the actual look of the pictures within that theme.

I think the last one has to be my favourite, for the rarity of the colours.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Looking again at number 2 I can strongly visualise a bull elephant - just look carefully and you can even see its eye..... Or am I alone in my abstraction?

14. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

A very nice set. Three stands out for me - I'd personally be tempted to lose the little breaks of light at the edge of frame and to raise the dark tones on the trees next to the cottage, I like the brightness of the snow.

It seems you photographed that pass a couple of weeks after MarkLJand I think the snowier look suits it well. I do prefer his composition though.

The second is very good, has an epic feel.

The first and last don't really work for me. The light is lovely but there isn't enough left and right to counterbalance the strong central elements.

15. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I like one, theres an awful lot of dead space between the Islands and the rock.

Love 2. 3, I'd crop off the breaks of light too. It would stronger IMHO.

4 great scene, would prefer a tad less sky and a bit more, cloudless skies are nice, but can be featureless if they are strong in the frame.
    5. Missed this sunset, I was out the following day, wish I captured it

16. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

Well im a big fan and this is just lovely .
    No2 sets shivers down my spine,..
    I love climbing but i will be beaten before i even start on that.

I use a Hoya grad filter,u can turn it as u please.screws onto the lens.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  17. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

All great! I'm with Hennie, no 2 is definitely foreboding, gives me the same feeling I get before heading out on a hard walk/climb, if you twisted my arm I'd have to pick that as the favourite of the set

18. Helander

Cheers guys, great crit and some very useful points raised with some issues that can be remedied regards crops or processing.

19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The poor wee laddie's been dead a while, a bit longer won't make a lot of difference. When you are ready is soon enough for me!

Adrian