1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Girl carrying mann

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by chrisevans, Apr 28, 2014.

1. chrisevans

chrisevans Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'd really appreciate your feed-back for this image. Please feel free to be brutal, I'm thick skinned and already know (from my efforts) I'm not a street photographer, the standard in this years APOTY was AMAZING but I'd still like advise from the wise on how to improve on a shot like this. I obviously have closer crops but I feel they do loose a bit of the street context. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

you need to crop it right in keeping all the building in and also the street sign - hopefully the image will handle the crop

disclaimer...I'm no street photographer either ... ;O)

3. chrisevans

As I said, I do have cropped versions, they give a much higher priority to the girl and look really nice, to me. They do loose a bit of the street context, the black cab, the no entry sign the London feel etc. I also read an article by Jay Maisel that he never crops his street photography. How incredible good to you have to be to do that! But I'm totally with you, crop is nice balance.

4. southonline

maybe others with better experience on street photography can help, me I just don't have the confidence to pull the camera out and point at strangers..

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Girl lost behind mann would be a better title. The subject is just lost in the whole image and not then emphasized. It needs massive cropping I can only see one way to do it and it's not going to look right as it'll have the subject walking out of frame. Start at the mouldings on the building cross to the righthand side of it. Keep the edge of the footpath and stop at the road sign. Lose the litter and the taxi is taken attention away from the subject.

6. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

agree with that, the triptych shop front, the top of the kerb, the savile row street sign and of course the carrying girl are all you needed; a 75mm lens would have done it.

having writ that, so very often my heavy 75 is resting in it's bag at home and anyway, by the time I changed lenses the moment would have been gone (ask me not how this I know). Therefore, you got what you could, bravo, and I think by cropping the no entry & cab and to the kerb top, you get a dynamic 'walking outa frame' shot with all the elements you desired, and not much IQ loss.

hope that helps. Keep going, your instinct & eyeballs are plainly good ones!

ps - on this screen contrast is great but could use a tad of shadow recovery so her legs were plainer, IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  7. chrisevans

Fantastic feed-back, I can see exactly what you guy's mean. That's not a million miles away from one of my other cropped options, the quality does drop off unfortunatly. I love my 70-200 2.8 but its not a street lens.

I just need to get out and shoot more to have better anticipation of the moment which allows more time to compose. And to be honest I know that's just not going to happen. Which is why I really admire you guy's who shoot such great STREET.

Thanks

8. southonline

so you going to show ?

agree

9. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

U welcome but my fail rate is around 99,9% (friends say much much higher than that), and on slides that is punishing. I find the odd expedition up town with a like minded chum - no family, no ties - is a big help; if nothing else presents itself I can snap him trying to compose his own shots, at least I get something. As we stroll at slightly different paces, then the 75mm comes good as he is often twenty yards away.

As a rank amateur I'm lucky to have two rangefinder bodies so can take a 35mm as well as 75mm. But never both around my neck at once, since it looks like a dork (sorry for the Americanism) and the bodies bang into each other (costly). So I am never ever ready for unfurling moments, I always seem to have the 'other' lens to hand.

As a result I once set myself the task of using and old 50mm collapsible standard prime and moving (zooming) by feet. Didn't create any art that day, but the discipline and brain work were very instructive.

Take SOMETHING with you everywhere and shoot shoot shoot. Even you've had to leave the kit at home, view all around you as potential return trips 'thru' a frame'. Best of luck, use your instincts, they seem pretty good.