1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Giraffe

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Dec 17, 2017.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Mark Coull likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm seeing some totally blocked shadow around his topknot and mane and in the sky above, visible against the less dense black.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. AdrianSadlier

The blocked shadow in his topknot and mane I will correct. The rest should be totally black (it's not).

I need to re-calibrate my monitor but am waiting until I install my new one (Santa is bringing a Samsung QLED 4K 28" monitor although it will require a new graphics card as well which I can't afford until the end of January - the 24" HD will be relegated to menus, emails etc. on an extended desktop).

All of this series will need the background sent to black - however most people will not notice the difference but it is there. And any "A" panel will have to have all of the obvious faults corrected.

I really appreciate the feedback and the detail you explore - it will help me big time when I choose/prepare the final printed panel. I have 17 possibles so far - probably need another 10 to form a panel.

I would be interested in your opinion/feedback as I get closer to the final choices, if you have the time/interest. I always appreciate your honest opinion :) Even if it is just to bring me back to earth (with a thud). I have so much to learn but it is an enjoyable process.

Kind regards

Adrian

4. RovingMike

Sure, is it an ARPS panel? I usually call in some help from RPS panel judges, because they are so much pernicketier than I am (as Craig will attest). Chris Palmer usually helps, but I am in touch with 3 or 4 others, depending on category. They don't like to comment outside their own.

5. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Aside from the black areas Mike has mentioned...

I find this an uncomfortable composition. That's not necessarily a bad thing if it's what you intended.

The framing is slightly awkward. I'm not sure you need that much space over it's head. A 3x2 standard ratio makes it more balanced.

The twig/shoot on the left of the frame, whilst giving some context/action, is again awkward. Perhaps there needs to be a bit more of it visible, so it becomes more of an element in it's own right, or maybe it needs to go (assuming you have a shot without it).

As I prefaced this with - ignore both of these comments if an edgy uncomfortable feel was what you were after.

One last point - the eye is a bit dead. A small pop of flash (or a dab of white in post processing) would liven it up.

Regards,

6. AdrianSadlier

Mike, it is for an AIPF Panel, the Irish equivalent of the ARPS. Funnily, they have been over to Ireland recently, looking at how we do things here. We actually have a few of the IPF panel judges in our club and I will be getting their input, probably in a few months time when I have about 30 possible shots together.

I have a few candidates already up on 500px.com at https://500px.com/adriansadlier/galleries/animal-portraits-on-black

I know a few of them just aren't good enough but I am getting a better feel for what will and won't work. The final panel will consist of 15 images. But before I get to the stage of bringing them into the club process I want to winnow out the obvious "no go's". Sometimes my quality filter is non existent and I miss the obvious - I have a habit of liking my own images too much and not seeing the glaring flaws in them :(

Phil

Thanks for the feedback, as ever. I had noticed the dead eye and intended to edit it - I just forgot!

It is a bit awkward in the framing but I am not too worried about that - that's the beauty of images on black - it's easy to change (within limits). When I have enough images (30) I can start looking at panelling and if necessary, framing.

I am in no rush with this.

7. RovingMike

Honestly earlier better than later if you're using a technique like this. If they throw up over one, all are dead.