1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ginger, Curcumin, Glucosamine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, Apr 2, 2018.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I know some of you are knowledgeable in these matters.

I'm continuing my attempt to find arthritis relief. I'm looking at diet and exercise as recommended. I also tried Glucosamine and Chondroitin but it upset my digestive system. I'm trying to go back on it again but build top my tolerance slowly but I'm not sure if it will work. Any ideas?

Also I aim to try ginger and curcumin ( probably supplements is the easiest way ) There's lots on the market dnd I'm looking for recommendations on these or ideas of the most effective way to introduce them to my intake.

Thanks for any advice

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

willie45 likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

SWMBO put me on to Penetrex cream.

Definitely helps the wrist/thumb, yet to try it on the knees. Not cheap, but you only need a dab at a time and rub it in.

http://www.penetrex.co.uk/

S

willie45 likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It is just so wrong but the whole of your post set the smut detector off in my head....

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Luckily I've had no problems with Glucosamine, MSM & Chondroitin, been taking it for more than 12 years. I started when I had pains mainly in the elbows, I presume it worked OK cos I forgot to take some with me when we went on holiday and the pain came back, after we got home and I started taking again the pain went after a few days, nothing since, all joints working fine, I'm now 84.

I get the impression that they work for some but not others, so keep trying alternatives until you find one that works for you.

willie45 likes this.
  6. willie45

7. willie45

Hi Steve, yes I remember you recommended this to me and I have given it a try. It does seem to help a bit and I am applying it. At the risk of setting David's smut meter off again I do I still need a bit more relief.

So far, of all the topical applications I've used Diclofenac gel seems to be the most effective for sgort term relief. I can't take it orally ( BP issues I mentioned ) but in gel form it's fine for me. There's only so much of it you can use though.

8. gw8izr

gw8izr Active Member

Glucosamine caused me to loose the ability to sleep, I don't sleep much anyway but was staying awake for several days on end. If you google it as a side effect it comes up as a 'miniscule chance of it happening' and hardly worth considering.

Remarkably three people in the project office were also suffering sleep issues when I mentioned it on a rare visit to the office.. they all stopped taking it and their sleep pattern returned to normal (like mine) overnight.

Just something to be aware of.

9. steveandthedogs

Ignore him. Mind like a sewer. Humph.

Just kidding David!

Another thing I find helps is a knee support helps a lot as well. https://www.physioroom.com/product/...2_OfnFIxZo-1_Ea1hUagfn6aZjN4DyCsaAkVVEALw_wcB
    Used one for a few years, definitely works to relieve pain, especially, I think, by stopping sideways movement of the joint and patella, the slight heating effect helps as well, though can be a bit uncomfortable after a while.

S

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Diclofenac via tablets gave me or rather worsened my depression. The GP knew that there was a chance of this happening but prescribed anyway. The cream/rub was slightly more effective.

11. willie45

It's actually my hands that are the problem. I've been smattering on Penetrex - I keep a jar on my desk at work and the name causes some raised eyebrows :)

12. willie45

Thats interesting. I had assumed tablets would be more beneficial but the gel really does seem to work.

13. steveandthedogs

EightBitTony and willie45 like this.
  14. willie45

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The gel is transported through the skin to the site where it is needed. Diclofenac through the GI tract can cause many of the problems associated with NSAIDs, often excessively (it is a strong NSAID).
    The gel can also contain other ingredients including the carriers which in themselves can have AI effects - don't ask for details, my days of looking at this stuff is looooong gone! ....Haven't we got a chemist here? I saw a thread a couple of days back with a reply from someone involved....

EightBitTony likes this.
  16. AndyTake2

With Glucosamine and Chondroitin, it is important to know that they are not all created equal. I can't give specific brands which are best as I don't use it (although, come to think of it it may be a good idea).
    Many supplements are bog-standard, whilst similar stuff can be crafted with real care - and it works. Many years ago Creatine was the sports supplement of choice, but many people in the gym binned it, as all it did was give them headaches. I used to sell some stuff from an American company, which was probably 40% more expensive, but was 100% more effective, and didn't have the nasty side effects associated with the crap.

Try a few - look online to find reviews of each brand. Don't be fobbed off with crap, because you will end up with the same problems. It is often the fillers and binders in supplements which cause GI upsets.

17. willie45

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I also take them, whether they work or not who really knows as you don't know how you'd feel without them.

What I do feel works though is a few pints of Titanic Plum Porter.

20. AndyTake2