1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gig photography - film tips?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by lutewhine, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Whitewash

Whitewash Active Member

the biggest problem is motion of musicians, they tend to be rapid little scoundrels, and a monopod aint gonna help that, you'll also be frounded upon if there are any other photogs in the pit as they will have to pick there way past you, and as its usually the 3 song rule, they wont be amused.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, giga means huge.

3. 0

0 Guest

According to my Chambers, mega means huge.:)

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You're right, forgetting my O-Level Greek - giga means giant. Sorry! :eek:

5. Whitewash

Whitewash Active Member

and here was me thinking it was just a misspelling of gaga

"all we need is radio gaga, radio goo goo, radio gaga" ;)

6. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

. . . . . and teras, of course, means monster. But I have never heard of any literal equivalence beyond that - what about peta and exa?

7. Helen_B

Helen_B Member

That's the biggest problem with the bands I take pictures of, the music is fast and pretty heavy so they're jumping around loads...

8. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

OK so heres a thought (and this applies to indoor sports as well)... is it actually ok to take a photo at a very wide aperture, say 2.8 rather than the more middle of the scale 5.6-11?

When I used to look at the live photos in the music press there was a hell of a lot of detail in those pics. I know the venues were very dark so how did they get such a depth of field. And let us remember that this was well before VR, OS and canon's own anti shake lenses...

Even when I have used film rated at 3200 I have never gotten a shot like that. I can only assume it was down to how high a quality the glass and design of the zoom lenses were? Thus enabling them to use the widest aperture and get away with it. Am I right?

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I always shot on aperture priority at maximum aperture, every time. The depth of field is usually just due to the distance between you and the band - after infinity theres no drop off...