1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gig photography - film tips?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by lutewhine, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lutewhine

lutewhine Member

Hi there,

I'm covering a gig next week, and although I'm shooting primarily B&W, I've also been asked to shoot a couple of rolls of colour film while I'm at it.

It's a 1400 capacity venue, so the lighting isn't the worst, but as I'm used to shooting with Neopan 1600 or Delta 3200, I was wondering if there's any reasonable equivalent colour film that I should try?

Flash is definitely out, and the last thing I want to do is take along a few rolls of ISO 400s and find that they're nowhere near up to the job.

Any advice very much appreciated. I know that bits and pieces of gig photography have been covered in detail here before, but I shoot so little colour these days that I must admit I'm slightly clueless as to what's worth using and what should be avoided like the plague.

LW

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

kodak have a 800 film as far as I remember I'm gone to digital you could push most films at least one stop then you have to think about the available lighting and whether you need to use filters look in the AP ads for mathers they've got a large selection of film its gonna have to be the fastest one I'm checking it out now and fuji do a 1600 superia I can't see any kodak 800 so it may not be hope you got a fast lens good luck

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Superia 1600. Fantastic film. I luuuuuuuurve it. You can usually pick it up in Jessies and some of the Snappy Snaps in London.

If you *cant* get any, do not go lower than 800 whatever you do.

4. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Kodak do indeed have an 800 film on the market - I've found it in Boot's in the past, so you should be able to get hold of it without too much fuss. if you're very lucky, it might be on a bogof offer!!
    Be warned - it can be a bit on the grainy side. Other options will probably need ordering from your favourite local Camera shop.
    I hope all goes well,
    Jo

5. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

I would suggest Fuji Superia 800 or NPZ (also 800). I've read from reliable sources that pushing 800 (if you can find someone to do it for you) is preferable to using the 1600. Find the freshest stock you can.

If the venue and your location will allow it, consider a monopod. It will help you with those slower shutter speeds and/or longer lenses.

6. tzunder

tzunder Active Member

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Well you say on your flickr site they are on 1600 film...?

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Here we go, this was shot on Superia 1600 on a 3.5-5.6 lens at the long end. Full frame, straight from the CD so no additional tweaking etc.
    [​IMG]

9. gingerman21

gingerman21 New Member

Fuji do a brill 800iso colour press film! a little more expensive, when covering gig on the IOW in very low light, i pushed it to 3200iso, and gt some spot on punchy results!!

hope this helps you!

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Sorry, Im losing my mind, the picture above was taken on Fuji Press 1600. Duh...

11. lutewhine

lutewhine Member

Went with the 1600 Superia, in no small part because because ermintrude's avatar is the absolute spitting image of my photography teacher back in the mid-90s. It lent her words that extra bit of authority.

Many thanks for all your input guys - has been a big help. Will report back with results, all being well.

In related matters, I've had quite a bit of jip coming by ID-11 developer over the last couple of week. Anyone else noticed availability issues with this?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's just been relaunched by Ilford, so availability should improve.

13. tzunder

tzunder Active Member

Drat, I shot both 800 and 1600 that day. I suppose I could dig out the negs, but nah, it is over now.

14. lutewhine

lutewhine Member

15. Saturn

Saturn Active Member

What is a 'gig'?

16. philipbowman

philipbowman Well-Known Member

It's a small horse drawn carriage.

Also, a performance by a band, smaller than what would be called a concert.

17. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Gig is a performer's term - it means a booking, an engagement, a job; usually for a band and for one performance only. The size of the event is immaterial.

18. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

..nah a gig is about a thousand meg ;)

(BTW that guy has to be the worst troll ever ;))

19. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Yeah he was fairly annoying! And it's 1,024 Mb if memory serves?

(1 , 2 , 4 , 8 , 16 , 32 , 64 , 128 , 256 , 512 , 2024)

20. 0

0 Guest

Er, 1024.:rolleyes:

Anyway, giga means 10^9, which isn't a power of 2, so strictly a gigabyte is 1000 megabytes. For convenience, computers use powers of 2 for memory sizing, but note that disc manufacturers use the literal meaning so each gigabyte is 1,000,000,000 bytes (making the disc appear to have more capacity than it actually has).