1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GF2 and 14mm - a good combo/ price?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Staropramen, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Staropramen

Staropramen Well-Known Member

I have just seen a major retailer offering a new Lumix GF2 plus 14mm f2.5 for £299 delivered. It seems a very good price. Popular wisdom says "if a deal looks too good to be true, it usually is" - is this the case here?

However, reviews of the 14mm do vary somewhat, making me a wee bit hesitant about buying one when I already have a 14-45mm.

My real need is to get a compact body for my 20mm f1.7 - plus an eye-level finder (EVF) - so I can use to complement my Leica M4 and 35mm lens. It would be much smaller unit than my Lumix G1 and 14-45mm combo.

The above price for a GF2 and 14mm lens, plus a Lumix EVF, seems significantly less than most retailers are offering a GF2 and kit lens.

Am I overlooking something here? Is a GF2 and 14mm (or 20mm) a nice compact setup? And is the 14mm f2.5 a 'worthy' lens? Thanks

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've not had extended time with either the GF2 or 14mm but I have tried them both in-store. I really like the GF2 - I find its touch screen implementation better than the too many buttons of the GF1. It is very compact but reassuringly weighty. The 14mm is pretty quick to focus (tried on the GF2 and G2) and seems a solid if unremarkable lens. The only issue I have with the GF2 is lack of in-body IS and the optional EVF is quite poor; the Olympus EVF is great and the Pens all have built in IS.

3. Staropramen

Thanks Zou - it sounds like the Oly E-P2 may be a better camera for my needs . . . the search continues.

4. lemmy

lemmy Member

I could have written that post! It's why I'm flogging my GH2 and EVF and buying an e-PL3 and VF-3 tomorrow.

I don't imagine we are alone.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I hope not - I bought one! It's because it is being discontinued - replaced by the GF-3, and some retailers are keen to clear stock. The twin lens kit was on offer at under £400 but stocks are selling fast. I was actually after a pancake lens for my E-PL1 but for a few pounds extra I have got another MFT body that I have not yet had a chance to use in anger

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

In that context it is a bargain isn't it. I've seen all the ads and I am tempted, but I've waited this long for my next camera so I'll happily wait a bit longer and get what I really want. Patience is a virtue, so I reckon I'm halfway to being a saint (hoping that canonisation doesn't involve buying another Canon...;))

7. Staropramen

After some hunting I found a dealer selling a brand new 14mm Panasonic, split from a kit, for £130. I haven't had much chance to use it yet - must get out more . . . I tried the GF2 and would rather wait for a cheap G2/3.

8. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

that's a great price! Any clue as to which dealer?

9. Staropramen

Have a look at Vennal Cameras (vennal_cameras1972 on eBabe). Prices vary, depending on availability and vital photographic accessories like boxes and cases, but also whether the items are re-furbs. Mine wasn't a refurb but didn't have a box. Current price is around £179-ish.

10. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll add him to my list of sellers and keep an eye on things!

11. PeterThomson

PeterThomson Member

The GF2 with 14mm prime lends itself to an optical viewfinder. It provides fast street shooting at a great price. The complaints about touchscreen and controls are usually from people that don't own a GF2.

It's an under appreciated camera that will capture great street shots and thrives on prime lenses.