1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Brian, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Try this web page look at the Macro 4/3 room and check out Fun with 4/3 thread. Nice site.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There are some great pictures there. I really can't see why 99% of folk need anything larger than the 4/3 sensor in their digital boxes. What with all the lenses mount adaptors available there is just so much scope for playing about and having fun.

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Zou I reckon your calculation is wrong it should read 99.99%

The results that the GF1 can produce without fuss or palaver are nothing short of amazing. The 20mm Pancake is truly awesome and as a stop gap I bought the 14-45mm forget the budget label it's great.

The thing that is missing is a fast wide angle prime, but that will come. Think about the Panasonic as a digital back, anything from Angenieux C mount 8-48mm F1.2 to a Noctilux or a set of Leica bellows with a Viso attached.

No, it's physical presence might disappoint many, it doesn't look professional enough for some, but it's performance will certainly impress the few.

Best accessory ? A Panasonic Viera HD TV. Then view your snaps straight out of the camera and pretend they are slides, slides that don't pop or go dusty.

Only downside? It's as slippery as an eel.:)

And as you say, it's fun.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My mum's just got a GF1, so I'm looking forward to having a play when I next see her. She got the 14-45.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Such a device is all I would need in a digital camera - whilst film still exists for my other interests (pinhole etc).

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It amazes me, how little the GF1 and Olly versions have been mentioned on this forum. It's certainly good enough for me although I might also buy a G1 to play with.

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

See what I mean Zou. No interest apart from yours. Have you looked at the black and white section?

The only way Panasonic will succeed is to feed the GF1 on steroids and fit a 2" wide strap. Reminds me of the serious photographer in 1923 clutching loyally to his whole plate camera whilst bursting with laughter at the suggestion he might use a toy called Leica.

Zou why couldn't you use a GF1 as a pinhole camera? I think you could.

In fact I think the whole site is a little bit good. Pity it's geographical base, it makes conversing with the locals rather edgy with their lack of understanding the subtlety of English.

Every time I post in any of these American based forums they immediately send in the 7th cavalry followed by a Nuclear strike.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Brian's right, 99.99% of people don't need a larger sensor, and this was reinforced for me when I took my GF1 to the States and put the files up on the brother-in-law's 60" flatscreen. The sheer quality of the images at the size just confirmed that there's no need for larger sensors for the vast majority of photography.

As a result, my D300 now languishes as a 2nd body/back up to my D3 and my D3 is used purely for specific projects. The GF1 is my go to camera of choice.

8. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Am I the only person who read GF1 and thinks "Girl Friend v1" ?

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Yes.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Fen, I would concur with Brian again. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for using the GF1 for pinhole work, it would certainly be possible, but I enjoy shooting 5x4 ultra wide angle pinhole. The kind of FoV I get with my Zero 45 would be unobtainable with a MFT camera - I use 25mm which would be around 4mm in MFT. At that focal length I am sure that the lens mount would be obstructing the FoV. It'd be fine for 'normal' focal length pinholes though, I'm sure.

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Yep, the only mistake I made was to go for the 37" Viera. Mind you anything bigger and I would have to install it across the road.

The GF1 has certainly put fun back into photography, it's smaller than my IIIg and it has an " Idiot" mode which Panasonic have translated to " Intelligent" mode.......... Obviously intended for me.

In fact all I ever change on the camera is Aperture priority or Idiot mode. Dynamic B/W or colour. I have +1 sharpen and contrast. W.O. lens permanantly selected, there is no point changing, it doesn't make any difference. Auto W/B and ISO and that's about it. Large Jpegs straight from card to TV..........certainly good enough for me. No,processing other than re-size for web if required.

Too simply for followers of the Marquis de Sade, but great for me. Liberation, just like burning your bra.

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Stop it Zou, you'll have to marry me.

But re the pinhole, just playing would be fun. I might even try it, could be a lot of fun.

Five minutes later.

Just tried it by using the Novaflex adaptor, some kitchen foil and a pin. Everything works fine, meter etc But I think a needle hole might be a little on the large size and perhaps a bellows for focussing would be useful. Still I did get a recognisable image..........just.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Try putting the foil on a chopping board and lightly poking with the needle - it should be just the tip which penetrates (I hope Will isn't reading this :eek: ), otherwise the hole is too big and the image rather blurry. An optimal sized pinhole should give tack sharp results >> not one of mine, but brilliant nevertheless ;).

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

This has got to stop. Yes Zou, love it.

Will try again later. If its any indication of the hole size I was getting a meter reading of 1/5th at 100 ISO. in dull overcast conditions.

15. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

Well Brian and Barney, your enthusiasm for the GF1 convinced me to get one. The battery is sitting on charge right now. I only got the 14-45mm, but will probably sell the LX3 to get the 20mm pancake

Does anyone have experience of any of the micro 4/3 macro lenses?

Looking forward to playing with it :D

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Well done Steve. A good forum for the GF1 is GetDPI.

The 14-45mm is a fabulous lens, yes it would be better if a little faster but the IS thingy really works and the camera is quite happy at 400ISO though I often use it at 800.

Straight from the camera apart from re-sizing. 14-45mm @35mm wide open

[​IMG]

And a crop, excuse the dust.

[​IMG]

Haven't got a Macro but this is the 14-45mm at it's closest range. Again nothing done but re-size.

[​IMG]

A crop, right in the extreme corner.

[​IMG]

Note how the ink bleeds on my custom made pages.

Something to look at whilst the battery charges :)

17. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Brian - crisp, clear shots

Looking forward to playing this weekend with it :D

18. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

No, and I still don't have a GF (1) :(

However I am rather drawn to Samsung's NX but I don't have the money for either the GF or NX at the moment (and am not likely to for ages)

19. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Well the 4/3 thing works great for macro but I worry about noise with small sensors, albeit its bigger than the one in my FZ7 which is dreasdful. But also the smaller the sensor the lower the upper limit for print size you have.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The arguments for the GF1 are eaqually valid for the Oly EP-2. That includes compatibility with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens. Oly really screwed up with their 17mm offering.