1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

General Election On The 12 December

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Why?

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

It's obvious (if he had half a brain - which I personally doubt). If you want to be PM you need to show patriotism and so on. Skipping an emotionally charged occasion such as the Albert Hall calls down opprobrium on his head and allows people even worse than me to cast him as an unpatriotic villain. It damages his chances of getting elected if not with his dyed in the wool supporters then with many of the floating voters - especially the older ones.

I don't expect you to accept that of course.

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes, his core Corbynistas can't get him elected. He has to work at the margins and pull in far more floaters. Tiny things can do that, but really, I think his cause is now hopeless.

Saw a statistic that Tories can get a 65 majority with just 35% of the vote because of the way it is all split and aided by the FPTP you all love ;)

Have just sent another note to LibDem high command saying they are killing Jo S with the pics they are using of her. I know focus groups will have said she looks unimpressive, insignificant and lacking in charisma, but they are making her look aloof, arrogant, smug even.

For me at the moment, it has gone back to what it always is, a beauty parade, with issues taking a back seat. On that basis, Boris looks a clear winner, lovable little rogue that he is :(

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The celebration at the Albert hall is plain mawkish in the way only the British know how. I don't blame anyone giving it a skip.
    I suspect many other ex-servicemen like my self think the same.

miked, Catriona and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and I don't.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Jo Swinson attained the position she has through ability and merit not a beauty contest. She certainly impresses those she works with and meets.
    None of the main leaders would win any sort of beauty contest.
    To expect them to, demonstrates the small minds of those having such expectations of them.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes you summed up the electorate well there. Unfortunately 45m voters don't get to see what she does on a day to day basis. That's why the photos and soundbites are absolutely crucial.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Unfortunately the press choose both,
    and they choose with care. Even someone with homely looks, need not look mumsy.
    It is up to the rest of us to recognise this and speak up in support of her.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

First sentence. I think that the devotion of many Corbynistas blinds them to that fact - he's attained some sort of saint status and they think that he doesn't have to work to get elected.

Second sentence. To me JS comes over as the Captain of the Cheltenham Ladies College Fourth form debating society.

BJ is beyond comment!

My vote is up for sale!!!

MickLL

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.
    Perhaps we should leave it up to the media to, punters, ad men and special advisers to decide for us. I mean, what do we know? We are only constituents with memories and brains.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  11. Terrywoodenpic

Farage has announced that the Brexit party will not stand in Tory held seats. But will stand in all others. Which means he will stand in the many marginal seats that the Tories had hoped to win, that had large Brexit majorities in the EU elections.

This as a strategy, seems counter p[productive, as it will split the vote of potential Brexit voters between themselves and the Tories where it matters most. labour would likely loose those confirmed brexit voters anyway. so this strategy reduces the chances of a Tory win in those seats.

Similar logic applies in Lib Dem and green seats, as again the Pro Brexit vote will be split.
    It will definitely help to split the Brexit vote in Scotland and will help the SN in their fight with the Tories.

That they are not standing in safe Tory seats is neither here nor there.

12. Catriona

I see your logic, but unfortunately I cannot be alone here in seeing how futile the presence of the SNP have been in Westminster. I am being verbally kicked for saying so in another place (no, not the Lords) but honestly, what has the SNP got done or prevented in Westminster? No, I am still considering my options, but to be honest, I'm fed up with the whole mess and for my mental health, I think I should just sit back and watch the world go by.

13. Terrywoodenpic

With out the SNP in Westminster Quite a few of Mays brexit votes would have gone the other way, as they were very tight.
    And they certainly have kept the the Tories off Nicola Sturgeons back. as they get to speak well out of proportion to their numbers.
    They will also be needed, if Scotland is ever to have another independence vote.
    After independence they will not exist....:)
    They have kept Scotland in the face of the Government right through the Brexit shenanigans. Or Scotland would have been ignored altogether.
    The Scottish parliament is only listened to, when the Sh.t hits the fan in Westminster.

You are probably far to far away, to see that they do have an affect on their English self appointed masters.

If you want to see irrelevance, it is the Scottish Tory mp/s in Westminster.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

OK. Maybe I am just depressed at the moment and distinctly under the weather. Even my remaining teeth are rebelling (after having seen the hygienist too!) I'm now trying to pluck up the courage to see the dentist. I never felt this way in the past, so I must be in a black hole.

15. Terrywoodenpic

I have a double appointment, hygienist and Dentist in a few days... not looking forward to it either. Seems to cost an arm and leg each time these days. but he is sorting out the mess my last dentist made in "easy" stages. Two crowns and a root fill so far.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

My sympathy to you! I've had chronic periodontal trouble since my 20s and nothing makes the slightest bit of difference. I've seen them all including a London Dental Hospital (Eastman?) and in my life, I've had to suffer each new dentist or hygienist exhorting me to take care of my gums!! Fed up. My sister who is 13 years my junior is going through the same thing, so it makes me wonder if there's some genetic link. I suspect at least one will have to come out. I'm so chicken!
    Good luck to you.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, Scottish MPs have helped stop Brexit from happening so far, and not just the SNP ones.

Catriona and Terrywoodenpic like this.
  18. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

Nigel Farage now apparently trusts the biggest liar in history to see Brexit through.
    Boris doesn't even understand the Northern Irish customs arrangement he just made with the EU.
    Labour have consulted the Diane Abbott Advanced Fiscal Planning Foundation and are apparently planning to fund
    free electric Teslar's for all. Add this to free ' green ' insulation for everyone ( only £ 250,000,000,000 and nobody to fit them )
    a 4 day week for all workers resulting in a textbook 'Hobson's Choice' decision for voters. Couldn't make it up.
    Where's the Screaming Lord Sutch Monster Raving Loony Party when you need em ?
    [​IMG]

19. Terrywoodenpic

I would no read too much into fake news if I were you. the real stuff is bad enough.

My computer says it is in Glasgow today... which is a big vpn lie.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49798197
    This seems to be developing into a two horse race apart from in Scotland (which is a one horse race).
    I am surprised that the lib dems are on a downward trend. How can remainers vote any way other than remain alliance?