1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election On The 12 December

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

So a general election has been called for the 12 December.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So it seems. The news feed in the hotel bar in Brussels is going crazy about whatever happened to day but bbc news is pretty silent on whatever happened in Brussels. I infer that Italy is withdrawing all students from the UK, but the sound is off and my French is a bit rusty even if was on.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Really? That's sad.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Indeed. I have no idea why but the Euronews feed can be a bit odd. See what the UK papers say in a day or so.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Got the oil boiling already.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I will only shout Yipee if a majority government is elected.
    I am guessing that the campaign will be the nastiest that even the oldest of us has ever seen.
    That is nasty. Cold Soft Sticky Mud is the civilised substance to sling!
    Edit. Metaphorically slung, of course.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Bloody hell.... This means we've got 6+ weeks of solid election news on the telly :(

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

And 6+ weeks of speculation and insults and false news on this forum.

Roger_Provins likes this.
  9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

And 6+ weeks of ill-informed speculation and insults and false news on this forum.

There you go ....corrected....

Graeme

Scphoto, Roger_Provins and Learning like this.
  10. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Times like this I'm glad I don't have a TV

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I have a TV but no-one forces me to watch it! Having said that I will choose to watch a few (very few) political programmes - just ones hosted by presenters that I respect. It's a tough call because I no longer buy a newspaper (and they will take sides anyway) , I can't trust this internet thing and I want to see the 'whites of their eyes' when making up my mind. Then, provided he steers clear of politics :), I shall watch this new David Attenborough series - number one was fantastic and contained photography that was awesome.

Not long ago I was much against an election on the grounds that it would , in effect, just be a brexit opinion poll and general elections should be about very much more. However I've changed recently and am glad that an election is coming. I'm completely fed up with the opposition making mischief at every turn (IMHO the spat about 9th or 12th was in that category) and the Government being completely paralyzed because it had no majority.

All I need to do now is to make up my mind which is the least worst outcome and do what I can to achieve it. BUT if I lose I'll hold my opinion but won't attempt to sabotage the winners.

MickLL

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

All I have to say on the subject is, who ever you support, go out and vote or apply for a postal vote. We need a high turn out.

We are in this mess because a huge proportion of the electorate didn't vote in 2016.

13. Catriona

I have been watching Live House of Commons broadcasts. Straight from the horses' mouths. Any analysis I trust comes from the World Service reporters.

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I used to enjoy watching live House of Commons but fairly quickly tired of it because almost all the speeches were so predictable.

Having said that I watched a bit of the committee stage of the 'election bill' last night and found that to be much more interesting and much less partisan than the big set piece 'debates'.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

I agree. The Committee stages are far more incisive and revealing, without all the bluster.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Already a warning last night that campaigners and doorstep canvassers might need protection. The Leave Blackshirts will be out in force. A few barged through us on the march last week chanting Goodbye EU, but the police prevented any violence from them.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

BBC Breakfast are now asking people how they feel about 'spending Christmas at the Ballot Box'.

I really think they're scraping the barrel already for election rubbish.

Scphoto, Zou and Catriona like this.
  18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

So we can guarantee that at least half the people in this country will have a miserable Christmas.
    I just hope that the result will not provoke civil war.
    What ever is said, it will be treated as a referendum by most people.

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well, the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation will be going into overdrive with the toxic propaganda, vox popping the most intellectually and educationally retarded as usual.

Scphoto, Zou, RogerMac and 2 others like this.
  20. Catriona

So true. Already there with the sarcasm and inflammatory rejoinders.

steveandthedogs likes this.