1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear lust: Mamiya 6x7 format

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by downfader, Dec 31, 2005.

1. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Define "better body", coming mostly from 35mm, a better body usually means better build (metals as opposed to plastics) and more "gadgetery" (ECF, Multi-exposure, bracketing, custom functions, etc). But as most medium format cameras I've seen tend to be fairly sturdy anyway and as there's not a lot of gadgetery to add on..?

Could be a stupid question, but I was curious what makes one 'blad body better than another?

2. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

IIRC the 500c has a knob to wind on, whereas the newer ones can accomodate a cranking handle, also you can change the focussing screen on newer ones (500cm) - which is fixed on the 500c (screens are about £20 second hand, and can improve the brightness in the viewfinder) I also think the pop-up viewfinder is different on older models. There are also battery models which wind on for you, some have winder-grips that fit on the side. Being a modular design, you can mix and match to a certain degree. Newer models have a gliding mirror to allow for full viewfinder coverage with larger lenses, and some have TTL flash control (503cx and cw) for certain flashguns. I also think you can fit viewfinders/backs etc. from the Russian version (I don't know how good they are - ebay has a few), I personaly have a meter prism viewfinder which measures in EV which you dail diretly into the lens so you don't need a separate lightmeter (and the image is the right way round).

3. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

One of my local shops was selling a 500cm complete for 200 quid. No idea what kind of condition it was in. Yeah I've always wanted a 500cm, they are great but the lenses I wanted for them seem to be more expensive. Maybe I'll get a Blad later, I dont know.

I've worked out that it'll be another 3-4 weeks before I can afford an RZ67 setup (with 90mm 3.5 lens, as that appears to be "the one"). Then I want to get a 50mm to go with it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I would love a lens, also, in the region of 200mm, but they are waaaaayyyy expensive, lol! I've gone through ads and havent seen a single one s/h so they must be revered :D

...you see... you gotta plan for the future ;)

4. ncmoody

ncmoody Well-Known Member

Dan
    There s a nice Mamiya RZ 67 lens, 250mm f4.5. on eBay currently at £100 with 1 day of a 7 day listing left Item number: 7577475788
    Also a Mamiya RZ 67 lens, 180mm f4. currently at £0.99 with 9 days of a 10 day listing left Item number: 7578778065

5. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Cheers mate but I havent any money yet. I'd prefer to buy from a shop, ideally, as you get to handle the goods and try them out :D

99p though...? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif has it got a flake in it ;)

6. Mugshot

Mugshot Well-Known Member

The RZ67 takes one PX28 silver oxide cell, available at juat about all electrical shops and photographic retailers.

7. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Any one remember the comparison shot between a S2 pro and a Mamiya 7 in AP last year?