1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Garden will look good

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ascu75, May 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I tried and I failled to buy pplants on ebay so in frustration Heather and I dsat down and ended up ordering 108 pl/ug p/lants so I recon or garden will be a riot of colour. The small nurseries had their chance butkeep being outbid on ebay sent me to Thompsons
    I now expect to be inundated with theeir promotional offers I was show great offers as I filled my basket .;):rolleyes: so wot be long befre we order again.
    Don:D

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I for one am glad the garden centres are reopening; I was living on borrowed thyme. ;)

Courtesy Gary Delaney

Nig, DaveM399, John Farrell and 6 others like this.
  3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Zou... that's so awful I'm going to use it!

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't need to borrow my thyme. I presently give it away with my coriander, bay, and sage. If all goes well I will add basal and maybe thinnings from fennel.The thinnings from the latter are a herb but the mature plant is a lovely vegetable.

ascu75 likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I tried to buy plants online but no luck. So I bought two packets of calendula seeds and two packets of wildflower seeds. Shared with my neighbour. I then scattered them everywhere. The calendula are sprouting up, but will I identify the others? Hmm. Excuse for not weeding. Ha! Good for you. It should be a riot of colour in a few weeks. :)

Learning, Zou and John Farrell like this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Apparently clumping cat litter is good for guerrilla gardening... Pop some of those wildflower seeds in a dampened ball of the litter and chuck it where you'd like to see flowers! It's a bit like cotton wool apparently, retains the moisture nicely to give the seeds a good start (so I've been told). You could brighten up Stornoway nicely!

Nig, ascu75 and Catriona like this.
  7. Learning

The calendula should rejuvenate themselves every year if you stop dead heading every Autumn. Just let some seeds ripen and they come back for ever. I admit that I used to be a bit snobby about this sort of thing but now I love them.

ascu75 and Zou like this.
  8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I didn't need to even buy seeds, the garden is somewhat wild anyway, it actually isn't looking too bad right now, I call it natural, there are plenty of Bees around unless it's cold.

neilt3, Catriona and ascu75 like this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Me to! I love pinching other people's recycled materials!
    Put some cornflower seeds in but Heather says she is to busy to be growing stuff on. Evidently looking after me is a fulltime job and there was me her six hours sleep was her free time! When the stuff is all in bloom I will take some photos

Catriona likes this.
  10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Do you leave the cat poo in as a pre-fertiliser ? One lump or two ? :D

ascu75 likes this.
  11. Catriona

Something I've done in the garden for years and still do, is put the grass clippings under hedges or big bushes as a mulch. The worms come and get it eventually and by the time Spring comes, the grass clippings have disappeared and the area is free of weeds. I like to think it has also provided food for the plant as well as the bugs.

Learning, ascu75 and Zou like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I suppose that's optional.

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

On Twitter I follow a firm that make seed bombs!. I cannot remember their name but they do little seed bombs in a tin! Here is a wildlife trust link for making your own. I never knew bomb making was so popular Google is wash with seed bomb recipes https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/actions/how-make-seed-bomb
    Even Sutton seeds want you to buy their seeds and then disperse them ! Guerrilla gardening has gone all mainstream!

Zou likes this.
  14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Some foxgloves arrived today should have beeen three but had a fo/urth one as a bonus. Our big order of 108 plants plus a bonus of anything up to 36 plg plants has yet to get here what do you recon on the chances of it gettiing here tomorrow when I am on a hospitall appointment ????
    If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't ave any luck at all:mad::mad::D
    Don

15. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Last Thursday I received notification my order has been dispatched! As of today it ain't here, I am expecting my order to be very unwell having been stuck in sorting offices for five days! So what should we do? Mouth to mouth on bizzie lizzies is unlikely to work! Any ideas? Don

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

I would prepare the soil and/or compost well beforehand. Make sure it is holding moisture, rather than drenching the plants once in. A little shade for a day or two until they recover. I wish you luck!

ascu75 and Zou like this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Heather has arranged some compost from neighbor and is going to harden the off. Poor little things are to tiny to be out in the world on their own. Let's hope she can keep them alive and they can brighten up our world!

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

I know what you mean then. Are they what is called plugs? Then they need to grow a bit before planting out. It's where a greenhouse or polythene structure - or even old windows can come in useful for protection.
    Best of luck.

19. Learning

By now (late May)I wouldn't worry too much about hardening off. Kate is slightly up North although benefits from what used to be called the North Atlantic Drift.. Just prepare your ground (I mix last year's spent compost from greenhouse growing bags into the area with pelleted chicken manure and mix-up). Get the plants into the soil. Water. They may look sad after their extended journey. In open ground they should quickly recover and thrive. I find it useful to pot up a few spares in case of failures. If you don't need the spares then give them away to someone with gaps in their borders. Such generosity is likely to be reciprocated in future.

ascu75 likes this.
  20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Zou and Catriona like this.