1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

G5 + Fotga + ...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by SXH, Nov 29, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, as you may know if you ever stray out of the Lounge and browse through the other sub-forums, I recently bought an FT-1 to use Nikon AF lenses on my Nikon-1 V2. It's not too bad. So, I thought, what other adapters can I try?

Well, I have a couple of M4/3 cameras. And an old 4/3 L10 camera, with a nice Leica/Lumix 14-50mm zoom. Could be worth a try. Then I went looking, have you seen the prices of the 4/3-M4/3 adapters? The Lumix one is apparently obsolete and the cheapest I could find was £250! The Olympus ones go for about half that, but don't come up often. As I doubt that I will be using it much, I looked for a cheaper one. Found a Fotga for under £20 and ordered that.

After a bit of faffing around, which did at least get me a Black Friday discount, it arrived a bit ago, so I mounted it on the G5. It looks a bit silly, it being basically a slightly extended range standard zoom!
    30630cess.jpg
    The G5 weighs 396g, the lens plus adapter is 493g!

I doubt it will get used much as my standard M4/3 zoom is pretty good and old 4/3 Lumix lenses don't turn up very often and when they do are not cheap. The Olympus ones do, but don't have OIS. It does, though, suggest the possibility of using other adapters to use some of my other lenses on different bodies. I shall need to look into that...

Right, I think I shall now take it for a walk around the garden and see how the combo performs...

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, a quick walk around the garden (it was bl**dy cold!) produced a few decent pics.

Herewith a couple or three (there are more in the same Flickr folder). All fettled slightly due to being taken in the shade, and sharpened slightly on resizing.

[​IMG]
    Locked door
    by SteveH, on Flickr
    Uncropped.

[​IMG]
    Ivy on the fence
    by SteveH, on Flickr
    Slightly cropped.

[​IMG]
    Insect having a drink
    by SteveH, on Flickr
    Moderately cropped (the lens does focus quite close)

So was it worth the £20? Well, it was fun to try out and, it being a good lens, gave pretty good results. Focussing was a bit slower than on the L10, but not too bad. But it was very unweildy and I suspect it won't get much use. Though the longer end might be useful for portraits. If I ever did any.